• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by Chef Magnus View Post
    I am new here and am truly impressed with your work. I am wanting to add a wood burning brick oven to the side of my house. Your work convinced me that I can get it done...

Chef
    Chef, welcome to the forum. Reminds of the saying - the amazing thing about a dancing bear is not how well he dances, but the fact he dances at all.

Having said that, I have truly found the project to be very manageable. As I think I mentioned (and Dave and others remind me), the design of this oven is very forgiving. Basically, if the dome is self supporting, insulated, and kept dry the oven will be functional. I came into this never having cut or laid a brick, and while my joints are not as uniform as I would like; I am convinced they will hold. I will know more about how well they hold if I decide to tear down the last two levels. Anyways, what should give you confidence is that someone with my initial skill set can put together a working oven (okay I am projecting into the future here). Let me know when you are getting ready to build and I will share my "wish I had know before I started list."

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It's been raining on and off here the last 5 days, the last two have been steady. Today looks like another washout..hopefully tomorrow I can work on the roof rafters.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    It would, but the same risks are there...I just wanted you to have the facts before proceeding.
    I appreciate it, would not have know otherwise. Looks like this three day pause in the build came at a very good time. Just to be sure, nature appears ready to enforce the pause as well, weather forecast is for heavy rains over the next three days.

Leave a comment:

• Chef Magnus
    replied

I am new here and am truly impressed with your work. I am wanting to add a wood burning brick oven to the side of my house. Your work convinced me that I can get it done...

Chef

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It would, but the same risks are there...I just wanted you to have the facts before proceeding.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    A word of caution about using a diamond wheel though. If you are chasing out the joint and don't keep the blade straight in your cut, it can grab and lunge out. Then there is the dust factor too...for these reasons I didn't suggest using the grinder...I did notice the post earlier Dave.

Bruce, to echo the others, your efforts are much appreciated. Please use caution if you use the grinder. I have seen nasty injuries happen to guys that use them every day.
    Would it work (and be safer) to use a masonary cutting or grinding wheel instead of the diamond blade?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

A word of caution about using a diamond wheel though. If you are chasing out the joint and don't keep the blade straight in your cut, it can grab and lunge out. Then there is the dust factor too...for these reasons I didn't suggest using the grinder...I did notice the post earlier Dave.

Bruce, to echo the others, your efforts are much appreciated. Please use caution if you use the grinder. I have seen nasty injuries happen to guys that use them every day.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-02-2013, 03:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

I know that laying those high bricks is extra effort for you - so I want to temper the advice. I'm super impressed with what you've done already.
    Thanks for the thoughts, the last course wore me out, so I am glad to have the break. I was pushing it because I knew I was going to be tied up with jury duty this week. The bad part was I recognized my error half way through and kept on going anyways. I'm getting used to the reality that the best approach is to take off the last two courses. So it goes.

Here's my dome at the 9th course - just so's you knows it happens to us all I knocked off one course and got it back on the right arc.
    Good to know I'm part of a club.

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Stone cutter
    Bruce has already said that he has an angle grinder and blade. Would it help if Bruce chased a line horizontally along the mortar layer of brick to try and prevent vertical cracking the next layer?
    Regards dave
    Thanks Dave, I was wondering if that would work.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Yes it would.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Stone cutter
    Bruce has already said that he has an angle grinder and blade. Would it help if Bruce chased a line horizontally along the mortar layer of brick to try and prevent vertical cracking the next layer?
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Last course was #10 counting from health level. Curious, if I decide to go back a few rows; what is the best way to remove bricks without damaging the ones below?
    As mentioned you risk breaking the bond on other bricks by hammering on the ones you want to re-set.

I suggest that you get the tip of a flat head screw driver, old chisel or better yet, a trim bar under the offending brick, and just turn it sideways to pop the brick out. The first one will be the hardest, but once you have room, rotate the bar or screw driver toward the opening..they should come off without breaking the bond below. You ca use channel locks or pliers to give your turn a little more power.

I never did this on a wfo, but I have on a historic restoration projects were you have to be extremely careful not to damage the surrounding work. I realize that the mortar is softer on old buildings, but if the mortar on your build is relatively green (3 days or less) then you should have no trouble.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Here's my dome at the 9th course - just so's you knows it happens to us all I knocked off one course and got it back on the right arc.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	29537d1336758513-starting-new-36-build-wp_000003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	295781

If you want to knock off bricks, the way to do it is with a cold chisel and light (3lb) sledge - better yet a dead hammer. But I hesitate to suggest it. I ended up knocking off 3 or 4 bricks the layer under the one I wanted to remove, and others (texman) have had even worse experiences...

I know that laying those high bricks is extra effort for you - so I want to temper the advice. I'm super impressed with what you've done already.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

But usually you can get to the plug for a 36" oven in about 10-11 courses. It looks like from your last picture you are on your tenth course now, and still a couple of courses away from your plug.
    Last course was #10 counting from health level. Curious, if I decide to go back a few rows; what is the best way to remove bricks without damaging the ones below?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Oh, I can definitely see you've "coned out" in this picture. The last few courses look like you haven't changed the angle at all

Click image for larger version

Name:	36953d1372614918-36-build-tallahassee-aka-bruces-folly-image_6396476e-a42c-4aa2-a88d-1acf72fee6b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	295780

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I think we are saying the same thing. The wedge could be from the top or the bottom, but the goal is to steepen the angle for the top face of the brick. That will make your dome meet sooner.

But usually you can get to the plug for a 36" oven in about 10-11 courses. It looks like from your last picture you are on your tenth course now, and still a couple of courses away from your plug.

Each course should steepen your angle about 8.5 degrees - and my trusty calculator says you should be at ~78 degrees with 7.5 inches between the inner brick edges. I would guess that diameter is close to a foot based on the picture. Given that, I'd at least knock those two bricks in your last course off and cut a wedge off those - and plan on doing the same for the last few courses. The alternative is going back as CD suggests to increase the angle on the previous course. But I think you can flatten it out as is. Know that it will just be trickier to mortar the bricks at that angle - and I don't think the ball shape is going to be great for getting the top as flat as you might want it.

OR you could just have a higher dome It will still work.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X