X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

They are going to try and finish an expert witness from Jacksonville so we were kept until about 6pm. Dave and deejayoh, thanks for your help.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I wouldn't cantilever. Just increase the tilt for that row - cut a 5 degree wedge off the bottom of the brick. That will flatten things out.
    It seems like I would be better off cutting a wedge from the top of the last row (thereby dropping the height of the dome) and increase the tilt; or am I missing something? Bruce

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I wouldn't cantilever. Just increase the tilt for that row - cut a 5 degree wedge off the bottom of the brick. That will flatten things out.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Dave, I am reluctant to take down the rows but will if it turns out to be the best solution. I gather from your post that cantilevering the next row is not recommended. Assuming I am okay with scrapping the last row if this doesn't work, how about using the angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut the bricks not a wedge shape? I'm at the courthouse now and the trail is scheduled for,the full day Monday and Tuesday. So I have some time to consider options, including just flattening out the next two rows. Thanks for your help.
    Gudday Bruce
    Can't say which way is the best at this point . Is not really a case of right or wrong with emotions playing a part. So perhaps a few days with the court case will give you some give you a bit of a breather.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Take it back a couple of rows and start again ... Can't hurt ....you have really had no setbacks to date so the progress thus far has been all foward.
    Regards dave
    Dave, I am reluctant to take down the rows but will if it turns out to be the best solution. I gather from your post that cantilevering the next row is not recommended. Assuming I am okay with scrapping the last row if this doesn't work, how about using the angle grinder with a diamond blade to cut the bricks not a wedge shape? I'm at the courthouse now and the trail is scheduled for,the full day Monday and Tuesday. So I have some time to consider options, including just flattening out the next two rows. Thanks for your help.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Okay it is worse the I thought. Current height of the dome is 19 inches. I don't want the peak to be any higher (would prefer lower). What is the best way to flatten out the dome going forward? My first thought is to slide the next course 1/2-3/4" past the last course's inner perimeter. Any help would be appreciated. Bruce
    Gudday
    Sound like too much air in that ball ! Well 19 ins isn't to bad its only an inch out which in the big picture is nothing. The ovens still going to work. Might suggest just cutting a disk of ply and put a small amount of sand so you finish fairly much flat. I would however make sure you have brick to brick contact just to be sure. If you are doubtfull of it hanging up there go and look Ancient Roman Oven Photos in the introduction section. There's some pretty flat roofs on some and they managed to hang in there for 2000yrs give or take.
    Or take it back a couple of rows and start again ... Can't hurt ....you have really had no setbacks to date so the progress thus far has been all foward.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Thanks for the help. Hadn't thought to use the markings. I set the next course but don't think I did a very good job maintaining the tilt. Will need to be careful on the next course. I think I was spoiled by the iT.
    Okay it is worse the I thought. Current height of the dome is 19 inches. I don't want the peak to be any higher (would prefer lower). What is the best way to flatten out the dome going forward? My first thought is to slide the next course 1/2-3/4" past the last course's inner perimeter. Any help would be appreciated. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Bruce,
    I used the concentric rings on the ball to help me keep the dome bricks concentric. It should help the keystone be simpler, if it is close to round. I set the ball on the floor of the oven and just inflated a little more. Looks like the bricks below may be causing the radius and height to be out of the proper shape, although it may just be the angle of the picture.
    Thanks for the help. Hadn't thought to use the markings. I set the next course but don't think I did a very good job maintaining the tilt. Will need to be careful on the next course. I think I was spoiled by the iT.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Dave, thanks again for your suggestions. Doubt I could have gotten this far without your advice and encouragement. Funny thing, I was telling my wife about the two approaches and she said we have an exercise ball. She went to the back of the house and retuned with the ball in hand. I decided to give it a try and it looks like it should work. Bruce
    Bruce,
    I used the concentric rings on the ball to help me keep the dome bricks concentric. It should help the keystone be simpler, if it is close to round. I set the ball on the floor of the oven and just inflated a little more. Looks like the bricks below may be causing the radius and height to be out of the proper shape, although it may just be the angle of the picture.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Another way to build a form is this ...

But doing it this way the keystone the pain... I would recon dropping the circle of ply at the keystone when the mortars at that first set stage. Then clean up. Go back and you can the be able to trace the top and bottom of the keystone onto a piece of card ( being able to get to both inside and out) which will enable you to cut the keystone to suit.
    As always you are the builder and you "call the shots" I'm still half the planet away and hoping my input is helping
    Regards dave
    Dave, thanks again for your suggestions. Doubt I could have gotten this far without your advice and encouragement. Funny thing, I was telling my wife about the two approaches and she said we have an exercise ball. She went to the back of the house and retuned with the ball in hand. I decided to give it a try and it looks like it should work. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Thanks, it wasn't pretty but it all came together.

Good chance I will be an alternate. This is a civil trial, which I have limited experience. I worked for the State as a forensic psychologist for about ten years so have experience with criminal trials so I'm looking forward to observing (or participating) in a civil case.

I tried the beach ball but it isn't going to work. I may try to use the IT for one more course and pick up an exercise ball for the last few courses. Regarding the chimney vent, I picked up a used 8" duravent adapter (see post #272) so will likely go that direction. Dave suggested I try out the oven without a entry (posy 262) and plan to give it a try.
    Gudday
    Another way to build a form is this . Cut down your old floor protector to a circle a bit bigger than the circle of your last row of brick. Using you car jack a couple of pieces of wood jack it up till it contacts the dome underneath that last level of brick. Drill a hole thought it and and poke a bit of stick through marked to the top sof the inside of your dome. It's not dead centre don't worry about that for now. Mix up some sand with a bit of the left over fireclay,( it will help make it stick together ) moisten it ( not wet) and use it to make the final shape. You can also fill the space first with old drink or wine bottles to make up the volume. Once you have got you perfect shape cover your "guide" with wet newspaper or plastic and you have a guide to work to.
    At he end just release the jack shovel the sand and bottles out clean up the inside and its a done ...dome
    But doing it this way the keystone the pain... I would recon dropping the circle of ply at the keystone when the mortars at that first set stage. Then clean up. Go back and you can the be able to trace the top and bottom of the keystone onto a piece of card ( being able to get to both inside and out) which will enable you to cut the keystone to suit.
    As always you are the builder and you "call the shots" I'm still half the planet away and hoping my input is helping
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-30-2013, 02:27 AM. Reason: Bloody spelling as usual!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Looking good Bruce ...... Congratulations, your transition over the arch turned out with no droop. Most domes see some of the so called dreaded droop. You should be proud.
    Thanks, it wasn't pretty but it all came together.

I got picked for a three day trial as a alternate a few years back. It was a interesting experience, although I wasn't allowed in the deliberation room. I did hang around to see the verdict. Hope you enjoy your civic duty.
    Good chance I will be an alternate. This is a civil trial, which I have limited experience. I worked for the State as a forensic psychologist for about ten years so have experience with criminal trials so I'm looking forward to observing (or participating) in a civil case.

Still using the IT I see, mine got useless around the course your about to start. Have you started planning the chimney vent yet?
    I tried the beach ball but it isn't going to work. I may try to use the IT for one more course and pick up an exercise ball for the last few courses. Regarding the chimney vent, I picked up a used 8" duravent adapter (see post #272) so will likely go that direction. Dave suggested I try out the oven without a entry (posy 262) and plan to give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Well, they kept me for about 4 hours and I was selected for a three day trial starting on Monday. I finished the last course and took some pics. Seems like the dome is closing fairly well. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and let me get some more progress before jury duty starts.
    Looking good Bruce ...... Congratulations, your transition over the arch turned out with no droop. Most domes see some of the so called dreaded droop. You should be proud.

I got picked for a three day trial as a alternate a few years back. It was a interesting experience, although I wasn't allowed in the deliberation room. I did hang around to see the verdict. Hope you enjoy your civic duty.

Still using the IT I see, mine got useless around the course your about to start. Have you started planning the chimney vent yet?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I'm at the courthouse this am for jury duty. Not sure how long they will keep me.
    Well, they kept me for about 4 hours and I was selected for a three day trial starting on Monday. I finished the last course and took some pics. Seems like the dome is closing fairly well. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and let me get some more progress before jury duty starts.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Ps. on the entry .....Yes.....hope to have pictures later today.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I'm at the courthouse this am for jury duty. Not sure how long they will keep me.

I'm going to try a beach ball first. If that doesn't work will try an exercise ball. What diameter ball did you use and on what course did you start using it? BTW, thanks for dropping in, good to hear from you again. Congrats for finishing your dome, really nice brickwork. Have you decided on your entry?
    Tending to your civic duty that's good. You be closing the dome soon,hope you don't get sequestered

The beach ball may work, although the diameter will probably be very limited. The exercise ball seem to have an ever changing diameter.............. Good luck, Got to get to work

Leave a comment:

Working...
X