• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    I checked out your pictures on Picasa.........Looking good...... What are your plans to close the dome ,wood form, exercise ball etc.....?
    I'm at the courthouse this am for jury duty. Not sure how long they will keep me.

I'm going to try a beach ball first. If that doesn't work will try an exercise ball. What diameter ball did you use and on what course did you start using it? BTW, thanks for dropping in, good to hear from you again. Congrats for finishing your dome, really nice brickwork. Have you decided on your entry?

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I checked out your pictures on Picasa.........Looking good...... What are your plans to close the dome ,wood form, exercise ball etc.....?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    Putting on a sparing layer gives you a chance to practice some rendering . I don't find it easy but doable . Basically it's loading up a steel float and with one motion pushing it Up onto the surface and keeping the pressure pushing it up along the surface at 45 degree to the starting point. Once on leave it be,start smoothing it to early and it will fall off. Smoothing comes later when the mortar starts to set. I'm sure you u tube a demo ... A pictures worth a thousand words.
    Back on the entrance V no entrance. I would take a few bricks which you can stack on on either side on see how they effect your operation of the oven. Do a dry run with a peel and push around a bit of wood around with a stick and see how it works with and without. Can't hurt but it will not tell how it will ultimately work with a fire in there.
    I'm waiting to see that final keystone go in ! Not as daunting now you have gone past the transition is it!!!!
    Regards dave
    Sounds like a plan. I should be able to pick up more firebricks tomorrow. I hope to be able to finish the current course and get a start on the next. Keystone should be coming soon.

In case I do a chimney, I bought a used durvent 8" adapter plate for about $22. Looked too good to pass up.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce

By the way Queensland Won !in fact they kicked butt! That's one apiece now with the final decider in 2 weeks ....go Queensland!!!!
    Regards dave
    Go Maroons!!! 26-6

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Putting on a sparing layer gives you a chance to practice some rendering . I don't find it easy but doable . Basically it's loading up a steel float and with one motion pushing it Up onto the surface and keeping the pressure pushing it up along the surface at 45 degree to the starting point. Once on leave it be,start smoothing it to early and it will fall off. Smoothing comes later when the mortar starts to set. I'm sure you u tube a demo ... A pictures worth a thousand words.
    Back on the entrance V no entrance. I would take a few bricks which you can stack on on either side on see how they effect your operation of the oven. Do a dry run with a peel and push around a bit of wood around with a stick and see how it works with and without. Can't hurt but it will not tell how it will ultimately work with a fire in there.
    I'm waiting to see that final keystone go in ! Not as daunting now you have gone past the transition is it
    By the way Queensland Won !in fact they kicked butt! That's one apiece now with the final decider in 2 weeks ....go Queensland!!!!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Sorry at the end of a long hard day .....gather some sleep and some thoughts

regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday
    It's pretty universal I think that arch transition . There is no easy way every one of us has to do it cold and lonely. But the thing is you have got this far with the build the effort to pull the thing apart and bury it in the backyard and hid the evidence is just to big. You just have to tough it out and finish that transition everything after this will seem easy!
    Well the transition is finished and the arch is cleared. Ran out of brick to finish the course. Should be able to pick up the bricks tomorrow afternoon. I cleaned up the dome and took the plywood out. I'll attach a few pictures.

As for using the left over mortar for a sparging layer ... Good idea. Add sand good. Add fireclay ...perhaps not , it's unfired and will probably lead to cracking. Keep it for entrance(?) mortar to make it sticky and workable perhaps. The sludge from the brick cutting is fired so its more like sand , an aggregate so use it if you wish.
    Any more advice for the sparging layer?

As for the entrance V no entrance I'm still thinking of more to add to that. But think about you local breezes and wind direction season by season it could have bearing on your oven use?
    I'm thinking I might go ahead and insulate the dome and cure the oven without the entrance. I suspect I will end up adding the entrance but it depends on my experience without it.

Anyway off to watch "state of Origin" football ( rugby league ) tonight. bugger which team you support its players from all teams lined up state by state. Tribalism at its best!
    Regards dave
    Hope your tribe won. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    It's pretty universal I think that arch transition . There is no easy way every one of us has to do it cold and lonely. But the thing is you have got this far with the build the effort to pull the thing apart and bury it in the backyard and hid the evidence is just to big. You just have to tough it out and finish that transition everything after this will seem easy!
    As for using the left over mortar for a sparging layer ... Good idea. Add sand good. Add fireclay ...perhaps not , it's unfired and will probably lead to cracking. Keep it for entrance(?) mortar to make it sticky and workable perhaps. The sludge from the brick cutting is fired so its more like sand , an aggregate so use it if you wish.
    As for the entrance V no entrance I'm still thinking of more to add to that. But think about you local breezes and wind direction season by season it could have bearing on your oven use?
    Anyway off to watch "state of Origin" football ( rugby league ) tonight. bugger which team you support its players from all teams lined up state by state. Tribalism at its best!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Thanks Dave, you know the arch and transition had me worried from the beginning of the build. I ended up bulling my way through using shims and mortar to make up for lack of planning. It feels like a big milestone and I have been grinning all day.

I have 2 1/2 bags of refractory motar left. I would like to use it to add thermal mass to the dome. Do I use it just mixed with water or do I add sand, fireclay, or the accumulated sludge from the brick cutting?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Three strong things of the natural world meet! The dome The arch .... And Bruce's determination!!!!!
    Well done I'm happy for you
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Important Announcement:

We have achieved transition.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce

Just a Quik thought on the entrance to the oven do you really need one? Im serious here, now your in the chair pretty much level with the line of the hearth. Smoke and heat for you from the top of your entrance will not be an issue.
    Anyway something to think about and you can always stick a few sticks of wood in there any find out when the dome complete
    Anyway enjoy seeing your oven progress (probably not as much you)
    Your a champ
    Regards dave
    Interesting thought about entrance. Had always assumed entry and chimney were pretty much a given. Would there be any worry about live embers coming out front? Curious if there are some other opinions on this. I think I will at least fire up and try it out. Thanks, Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    I have an arch. I ended up using the brute force and massive ignorance approach. Will finish up the transition tomorrow.
    Gudday Bruce
    Well I must say that's very satisfying to see the full arch up and the dome outline is really clear. It's not been that long since the first bricks covered the CF board ......2 mths ( with a holiday in there too) so that's not that long.
    Just a Quik thought on the entrance to the oven do you really need one? Im serious here, now your in the chair pretty much level with the line of the hearth. Smoke and heat for you from the top of your entrance will not be an issue.
    Anyway something to think about and you can always stick a few sticks of wood in there any find out when the dome complete
    Anyway enjoy seeing your oven progress (probably not as much you)
    Your a champ
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Bruce,
    Keep it up and soon there will be an oven for you.
    In the meantime (until I have a WFO), I made a Sicilian pizza using the home oven.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Bruce,

Your persistence and determination is inspiring to me. Keep it up and soon there will be an oven for you.
    Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. Feels good to see the dome take shape. Bruce

Leave a comment:

Working...
X