X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Mortared the second course today. Looks like I still need some tips on setting the bricks. Any help?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    You need to work out a way to tie them in to the dome otherwise they may just pop off.
    Off and on rain as well as life activities have kept me from getting much done on the build. Dave and others have tried, but brickie finally succeeded in getting my attention regarding the arch transition. As I worked it through, it was clear I had cut the floor edge 4" too short. I spent today changing out a few of the floor bricks which appeared stained and remortared the joints that had not set. I laid out another 4" of brick at the entry. Hope to be able to mortar the second level tomorrow. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Well today went well enough , did however struck one problem. Sanded and roughed up the rest of the dome, what a mess , you should have seem the dust. Took to it with dustpan and brush filled 2/2 bucket of the stuff and still couldn't get it all! Contemplated hosing it off but if I did that it would dry enough to take the mortar. So out with the compresser and air hose. Worked but what a mess all the trees and bushes were covered with a fine powder. The ovens still full of it and even the chickens are sneezing! ( never heard a chicken sneeze before)
    Any way still had enough time to get 5 rows done right around and 8 in the front corner.
    Least I know that the curved brick layers it will match with the straight ones on the entrance! Going to have to watch those layers as I go around the back as I have adjusted the mortar layer to match them up.
    One thing I'm striking even now as you go up the layers and those layer get shorter is that you strike a point where the joints start to line up. So you compensate by adding a 1/4 brick so the joints arnt vertically aligned .
    Next layer you'll find about we're you put that other 1/4 brick another is needed.
    In the end you have a section of 1/4 bricks going up the same section of the oven. Now that fine for me cause I'm better having them at the back of the oven but for the internal brick work that's the part you see.
    You might consider starting each layer at tihe back and working you way to the front so any smaller brick needed it located at the front were its not seen.
    Regards dave
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-04-2013, 04:06 AM. Reason: Speeling

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
    Can I use the vertical bricks on each side of the entry?
    You need to work out a way to tie them in to the dome otherwise they may just pop off.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

The rain stopped for awhile so I was able to cut and layout the next course. Can I use the vertical bricks on each side of the entry?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Good to find out that the brick works holding and now and it just down to bond time.
    I laughed when you said you were taking baby steps . My wife recons I am going back to childhood.....playing with mud ....fascination with fire!!!!
    Regards dave
    Sunny day in my part of the planet so back to playing with my brick veneer
    Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-03-2013, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I would guess about 3/4 of joints will hold, most of the rest broke when I moved the adjacent bricks and separated the joint. Still, think I am done crawling and now taking baby steps on the learning curve.
    Rain again today. I pulled up the edges of the tarp and checked the joints. Turns out almost all the joints held together except for two bricks that caught up on the edge of the plywood when I pushed it too far back after the mortar had set. Looking forward to getting to work on the dome.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Was able to mortar most of the way around the perimeter doing some in the am and some this evening. Seems to be going better and mixed the mortar with a little detergent per brickie and used the drill attachment per cobblerdave. I would guess about 3/4 of joints will hold, most of the rest broke when I moved the adjacent bricks and separated the joint. Still, think I am done crawling and now taking baby steps on the learning curve.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Brickie (Al), thanks for your help.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    You should only have to butter one side.

I always advocate a small dash of dish washing detergent, it will coat all the particles in the mix and stop them repelling the water.

I worked with so many other bricklayers over the years who absolutely struggled with their mortar and the water bleed off, they would spend all day knocking up the mortar, (remixing) it gets even worse in hot weather.
    They can not believe the difference in the mortar when I tell them about using a surfactant in the mix.

5 minutes is plenty of time to mix mortar.
    I think the main problem was not using enough motar the first time (when none of the bricks held together), along with too thin and poorly mixed mortar. My second attempt, even with the bleed off appear to have set and look good. So I am at least crawling up the learning curve.

I will try the dish washing detergent and mixing for about 5 minutes with the drill and paddle. Looks like the rain is holding off this a.m. and I should get a chance to give it a try. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I was only buttering one side of the bricks and not using enough mortar.
    You should only have to butter one side.

I mixed up a small amount of mortar and tried to get to the consistency of "peanut butter." I hand mixed with the trowel but the mix acted like natural peanut butter with oil (in this case water) coming to the top.
    I always advocate a small dash of dish washing detergent, it will coat all the particles in the mix and stop them repelling the water.

I worked with so many other bricklayers over the years who absolutely struggled with their mortar and the water bleed off, they would spend all day knocking up the mortar, (remixing) it gets even worse in hot weather.
    They can not believe the difference in the mortar when I tell them about using a surfactant in the mix.

The mix would seem thick enough but as the water came out, when mixed back up it would be too thin.
    See above.

with very thin watery mortar oozing out the edges of the joints. If the mortar was allowed to rest a minute of so, this would also occur to the mortar in the tray.
    This again is water bleed, your bricks are obviously wet, in the trade Ive had to lay wet bricks due to the weather catching us out, it happens mainly with solids but they actually float on the thin film of water, and you can see it oozing out from between the brick and the mortar.
    Its not desirable because the bond from brick to mortar is lost.
    It wont happen to wire cuts, the ones with the holes, as the water fills the holes.

Does this mean the mortar was still too wet or not mechanically mix enough? Or for that matter, is it normal.
    5 minutes is plenty of time to mix mortar.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-01-2013, 11:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday ( brickie by this stage is not impressed as its use is for plastering )
    I think youll find it was Rockcutter who said that......

That style of trowel is used mainly by roof tilers here in Oz, not plasterers.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    [ATTACH]35324[/ATTACH]
    The trowel pictured is easy to use due to the round end( brickie by this stage is not impressed as its use is for plastering )
    Look what I have:

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Mixing small batches .....get one of those cheap paint mixers the one designed to mix 20 lt cans. Just put it on your electric drill . Full a bucket of water and use a dipper so you have better control over how much water goes in, never be tempted to use the hose!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	294368
    The trowel pictured is easy to use due to the round end( brickie by this stage is not impressed as its use is for plastering )
    The vinegar is to take the sting out of your hands after you can't help yourself and play with the mortar. No it will not heal them the damage is done
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I googled for instructions and found this:

Pre-mixed Mortar

This is the easiest mortar of all to make. Pre-mixed mortar is a combination of Portland Cement, Hydrated Lime, and Masonry Sand already blended together in the proper proportions to make a Type S mortar. All that is needed is to add sufficient water to achieve the desired consistency, usually about 5 to 6 quarts for an 80# bag. Pre-mixed mortars are a little unique in that they require a slightly modified mixing procedure.

Mixing Procedure

Put 2/3 to 3/4 of the water into the mixer
    Add the Pre-mixed mortar into the mixer, adding water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency
    Mix for 3 to5 minutes, turn off the mixer and allow mortar to ?slake? for 2 to 3 minutes, re-start the mixer and mix for an additional 2 to 3 minutes adding water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
    Pre-mixed mortars use a kiln dried sand that has a higher water demand. It takes a few minutes for all of the water to be absorbed into the dry sand, hence the need for a prolonged mixing time. If you do not allow the mortar to set and ?slake?, it will feel gritty on the trowel and will be difficult to work with.

Do these instructions sound right, if so, I have not been mixing nearly enough. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Reread the High Heat Mortar Primer sticky. Looks like I could have used home brew from the beginning.

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
    Not really sure how I missed this posting and apologize for it...type N masonry cement is mixed at 50/50 portland to lime as is portland lime mix...in this instance it should be 2 parts cement 1 fireclay and 3 sand...that is exactly what I used for our oven build and it dried nice and hard quite quickly...although we haven't fired it yet I am confident in it as a mix...that will also work well for rendering the dome if that is how you plan to finish it as the type N is a bit stickier than other types of mortar...for the render you can add more sand...typically type N gets anywhere from 6 to 9 parts sand when being used to lay brick
    Best
    Dutch
    The type N masonry cement appears locally available.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X