• Show
Clear All

• Bec1208
    replied
    Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Has any of it actually set?
    How long have the bricks been laid?
    It has been about 20 hours now. The mortar seems to have set though none of the bricks stuck together. This is shown in the first two images.

The remaining images are from this a.m. After looking at the videos, it appeared I made a number of mistakes in my first attempt in addition to adding too much water to the mix. I was only buttering one side of the bricks and not using enough mortar. I mixed up a small amount of mortar and tried to get to the consistency of "peanut butter." I hand mixed with the trowel but the mix acted like natural peanut butter with oil (in this case water) coming to the top. The mix would seem thick enough but as the water came out, when mixed back up it would be too thin. When I thought I had the correct consistency, I tried mortaring some of the brick cuttings. I buttered both sides and gently pressed together, using the trowel to remove some of the excess. After the mortar seemed to be setting, I used a wet rag to clean the surface of the first three joints but left the last with extra mortar on top. Looks like these have a pretty good chance of working.

If you look carefully at the last image, water can be seen pooling on top of the mortar. This was also occurring with the first three joints, with very thin watery mortar oozing out the edges of the joints. If the mortar was allowed to rest a minute of so, this would also occur to the mortar in the tray. Does this mean the mortar was still too wet or not mechanically mix enough? Or for that matter, is it normal.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Has any of it actually set?
    How long have the bricks been laid?

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Bruce
    I have not used hi temp mortar so I hope someone chips in with some better detail.From what I have read. Hi temp mortar doesn't "cure" as such at first only drys off its water content it cures only after it heated during your ovens curing fires. So it appears the bond between the brick will be delicate? ( I hope that's the right word) till fired I suspect.
    Regards dave
    I'm hoping I have the correct mortar (see the previous post). If not, I'll have to try harder to find a source for the lime. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

I read on the Internet (so it must be true) that the hw 413 was could be used in place of the fb mortar.

Originally posted by geisen View Post
    Reviving an old thread.
    I was trying to find a local San Diego source for refractory Mortar, blanket and Insullation Boards. Found a local distributor (squiresbelt.com‎) for equivalents to all three, though only the mortar is going to save me any money.

Sent the FB spec sheets to HW and got the following response (my price comparison in parens):

"The Harbison-Walker Refractory equivalent to the RefMix mortar is MORTAR MIX 413 (50lbs = $35; vs. FB 22lbs = $35). As you continue to search for alternate refractory sources for this material, keep in mind that it is important that a high temperature mortar used for outdoor ovens exposed to weather must be hydraulically bonded. MORTAR MIX 413 was developed for this application. Most refractory mortars are alkali silicate-bonded and have binder systems that are somewhat water soluble. This causes them to degrade with extended service in outdoor ovens.
    Hopefully this is the case and just my needing to move up the learning curve in terms of the consistency of the mix and it applying to the bricks. I have been watching you tube videos of brick being laid. Depending on weather, I will mix some up and try again tomorrow. I probably needed a reality check about now, the build had been going so smoothly. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

So it appears the bond between the brick will be delicate? ( I hope that's the right word) till fired I suspect.
    Be careful Bruce that you have the correct product.

You need air set not fire set mortar, if its fire set the whole dome could collapse before you get the chance to fire it, and if it gets wet before firing it will just collapse as the mortar is washed out of the joints.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    I have not used hi temp mortar so I hope someone chips in with some better detail.From what I have read. Hi temp mortar doesn't "cure" as such at first only drys off its water content it cures only after it heated during your ovens curing fires. So it appears the bond between the brick will be delicate? ( I hope that's the right word) till fired I suspect.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

First the good, the door came together pretty. I ground down the rough edges and added rivets where the folds came together. I spread a layer of high temp adhesive to seal the seams and laid down a layer of insulation board. I think the door is going to work out well.

Now the bad. I mixed up a small batch of mortar and tried to mortar the perimeter bricks. I wet the bricks briefly before applying the mortar. The mortar did not stick to the brick so I added so extra water. Probably thinned it too much. Anyways, I don't think any of the bricks stuck together. The mortar is harbison walker 413 mix. Any tips?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Good morning Bruce
    That's the bummer about jobs....set tasks, set times... But don't worry about that oven, its different it will just wait under that little blue tarp. God will deliever you a perfect day and the energy you'll find, if not stop and listen to the birds, that's good, no boss on your back!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

You are a busy man. I retired a few years early due to the accumulated late effects of my polio. Just got to the point that fatigue and other issues kept me from being able to continue in my job.

Sun is out today, but rain is supposed to be back tomorrow. Spent a little time this a.m. smoothing out the entry door shell. I put in a few rivets and used my angle grinder to smooth some of the rough cut edges.

I'll post my progress later today and add some pics. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Glad you don't think I'm being short with you... And I do like your thanks.
    What's this about retirement, your teasing me,seems like I'm working longer and harder as I'm getting older.but the plan is to slow down to part time work in the next 5 yrs.
    I'm pretty well know in the industry and people are always after part timers so I probably will not retire but slowly fade into the sunset, so to speak.
    I also teach , trainer/assessor, filling in on classes at the moment when needed.
    I use to teach full time but had to give it away due to my then bosses sickness.
    A friend took over the organisation and expanded into mechanics and building Its mainly aimed at giving basic trade qualifications for 15 year olds who are that time when they threaten to leave school.
    The kids are still at school and we have them a day a week. It's as much hands on as possible and designed really to give those kids a chance to "kick some goals" and get a bit of confidence in themselves that they don't get at school.
    The success is not just in the entry level trade skills but in those who actually go back to school so they can get better education and qualifications.
    It's a honour to step a bit of life's path with these kids and hopefully see them stride off by them selves
    Anyway end of a long day
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Sorry about the short answers I'm at work at this time of day. Sorry the shortness of the rely only mean I'm short on time!!!!! Not upset in any way.
    You really have to laugh when you think about it , I am only on the other side of the planet from you and in the other hemisphere...... But the conversation continues
    Regards Dave
    Wasn't thinking you were upset (just saying thanks) like mom taught me. I've commented to friends about how geography and distance seem so unimportant with the Internet. By the way, I highly recommend retirement. Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Sorry about the short answers I'm at work at this time of day. Sorry the shortness of the rely only mean I'm short on time!!!!! Not upset in any way.
    You really have to laugh when you think about it , I am only on the other side of the planet from you and in the other hemisphere...... But the conversation continues
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Just the sides( sorry for labouring the point)

Regards
    Dave
    Dave, again I don't think I can really communicate how much I appreciate your help. You may have noticed that detailed advance planning is not one of my strengths. On the other hand I probably wouldn't have started this if I had thought it through. I appreciate you keeping me focused and thinking ahead. Helps to know someone has my back.

Thanks, Bruce

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Bruce
    Just the sides( sorry for labouring the point)

Regards
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• Bec1208
    replied

No mortar at all, or just at sides?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X