Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The why in Foundations

OH! You know Laurentius too!
    He is a wealth of information and is very quick with his thoughts!

Good to hear that you have an eager helper with lots of piss-n-vinegar to partner with making your oven. Really don't need much for tools --if you are doing any kind of cement base, concrete can be mixed in a wheel barrow or mud box with a hoe....just takes more time and sweat. If you can get the raw materials; sand, stone, cement you can do it.

I imagine they have cement blocks. By looking at many builds on line; they are stacked up without mortar and core filled with concrete and rebar reinforcement. Probably the cheapest way to go.

It sounds like this build may eventually be a mobil unit. If you are only going to stay at your new place for 4 years... Sure would be a shame to leave an oven for someone else after going thru all the effort of cutting brick etc.

Photos of my oven are on this site, but I chose to cast mine from refractory.

Good to hear there are more Americans around who share common interests.

Is there any reason --you couldn't do the interior work on the new house you purchased? I always see the framing and enclosing of the house the most stressful--knowing you need to get it water tight! Finishing is the fun part.. can take your time and work ---no matter what the weather conditions are.

Take care
    Gary

Comment

Where did you go?
      Earthquake from several weeks ago was a very long distance from Beijing--My architect friend did not even mention anything significant happening there the last time we skyped!

He said there were gated communities by the airport that you mentioned, like little glimpses of USA in a foreign land. He does design work in China and there are rules like anywhere else in the earth to comply with. I don't remember his exact words but something like "community council" approval required. But he does not live in special enclaves you describe. His work involves several major projects requiring in excess of 40 foreign architects working on team to develop the projects being built by Chinese real estate developers. If you go into Beijing proper, one of his projects looks like a huge bee hive--really cutting edge architecture! Located right in the middle of the city.

Comment

Ha ha yes I know the Bee Hive building you are talking about. It's funny, I have a good friend who is also an Architect here and she complains about the lack of creativity and style in Beijing. But for me I've often felt there is a lot more than she gives credit for.

Yes, I live in one of those 'Reverse China Towns' or 'LaoWai towns' near the airport. (In reality though there are more Chinese living in each of these communities than there are LaoWai).
        But I can tell you from 15 years experience and having lived in 4 different LaoWai towns with friends in many others that I have never heard of any type of Community Committees here. That is one thing I really love about living here in Capatalist China. Yes Capatalist not Communist. The So called Communist party is now running a purely Capatalist country. And I can tell you that when it comes to daily life I feel more free here than I did living back in the States. No busy body neighbors telling me what I can and cannot do here and I hope it stays that way.
        In these communities of cookie cutter houses people do whatever they want. Many people make big changes to their homes and yards as soon as they buy them before moving in. Some may have weird tastes and some may be odd but the vast majority are quite nice. No one minds the differences, to each his own.
        Viva la difference!
        So I'm putting an outdoor kitchen in my yard. No one has said anything except that they are hoping to get some pizza!
        Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Oh, and Beijing is a good 4 day drive from the quake zone so no we definitely felt nothing here.
          Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

I will fire sure!
            Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Today is 4th time firing my oven --outdoors.
              The link is "Stuctural Slab...", the structural slab temperature is cool so maybe the underinsulation is dry OR not heated up enough to steam out. The outside insulation feels warm today and so does the render....so there is still water present. However, today with a 45minute small fire (my standards) the soot cleared from most of the dome. I am cutting up a door--(almost while we talk),
              put a couple more sticks of wood in ---will let that burn down and then put the temporary door in place to see if I can hold some heat til this afternoon when I'll try a chicken.

My friend in China works for a very big firm...and he even works with student architects to get them to think out of the circle. These projects are 100's of thousands of square meter projects--I guess they are judged by how many tower cranes are on site...more than a dozen makes it pretty respectable.

Capitalism is based on a free market concept. What you have over there is a bastardization of the concept to capture market dominance. Government underwriting, exchange munipulation, copyright abuse, and lack of overall protection of the environment. All this along with the huge buildup of its' military to eventually dominate by force what it cannot do economically. Enjoy the life you have there while you can---when the government begins to see control slip then lots of things can happen.

A different friend working out of Hongkong campared China today, to the USA wild west before statehood--anything goes!

But this is not a political forum--I just had to respond to your response. I hope that you can get your build started very soon!

Comment

Gary, Hi I only just saw your post today, sorry for the late reply.

The other house was a big mistake actually. It's a really nice house BUT its kind of far from my boy's school and the area isn't as nice. At the time we bought it we were living down south and my wife and I were taking turns flying up to look for houses and well after doing this for a while she, without me seeing it, put the deposit down on this one.

At first we thought it would work. We moved into a rental house near the schools and well after living there a little while and planning the interior design of the house and fell in love with the area and convenience of living here. So after a year and a half in the smaller rental we opted for a larger one. We will keep the other. It's fully paid for and either sell it in the future or whatever.
                Either way I'm looking forward to my WFO and outdoor kitchen getting completed. But yes it will probably get left behind 4 years from now unless I can disassemble it some how.
                Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

The build has started, sort of. Slab was poured for the oven & kitchen extension four days ago and the cinder block arrived yesterday and I've started laying it out.

Started an album at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html
                  Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Hey! That's great!
                    It is sure nice to see someone getting things going. You said you're a chopper instructor or pilot or something...looks like you know your way around tools and building.

Like the neatness of your work--nice rebar pitch! Looks like things are going to really be happening now!

Keep the pictures and posts coming...hope your pal in Chiba is watching this thread! He'll enjoy it as well!

Comment

Yes I'm a Helicopter Pilot so perfectionism and safety aspects come as part of the personality profile I suppose (so does lazyness ).

It's coming along. Just had some more rebar, sand and cement dropped of an hour ago. Planning to pour the holes of the stand tomorrow and the hearth as soon as possible after that.
                      Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Today I played "Helicopter Pilot" For a birthday gift I was given a discovery flight. So I got to "pilot" a Robinson 44. Granted I was given the controls with the real pilot hovering over every move as I was following his instruction.

It was so much fun!!!

Think I got bit by that helicopter bug...but I fear the cost of the flight instruction is the cure.

Don't forget to post lots of pictures of your build.

Comment

Progress is the biggest cure for laziness!

I'm firing again today--but you are ahead of me! I don't have a slab, or any type of base decided on. Fifth day of fire out of 8 days possible. Everytime it heats quicker and different parts are hot or cool.

Keep pecking away--every minute you can squeeze in gets you that much closer to the finish.

Comment

What? You built the oven BEFORE the stand,etc? Kit oven I'm guessing yes? You have it where, on the ground?
                            For me I'm doing the whole outdoor kitchen thing. So, building the island for the Grill, Sink, Workspace, Mini fridge, Drawers, etc at the same time. Have to pour cement table top, cast sink (to tile later), and the base for the BBQ which is lower than the table top.

I wanted to make the hearth 5 cinder blocks high instead of four like I see in so many photos as it feels to me like the oven door will be too low the way I keep seeing it. But the wife say I'm making it too high that way. So, I haven't completely decided on the height which I must do by tomorrow I suppose if I'm going to pour the legs.

Anyway my design for the stand had to mesh with the whole kitchen thing. So, I went with the simple block stand but a corner install as I have a tree in the way which help make the decision for me.
                            Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                              Today I played "Helicopter Pilot" For a birthday gift I was given a discovery flight. So I got to "pilot" a Robinson 44. Granted I was given the controls with the real pilot hovering over every move as I was following his instruction.

It was so much fun!!!

Think I got bit by that helicopter bug...but I fear the cost of the flight instruction is the cure.

Don't forget to post lots of pictures of your build.
                              The cost of instruction is VERY HIGH for sure. It took me nearly 3 years to get through it just because I kept running out of funds. The $$ for the private license came from a $4,000.00 grant I got from a lodge my folks belonged to. The rest came from bank loans. I would take a loan for a couple thousand at a time. Go to flight school days and work a 2nd shift (3:30pm > 11:30pm) job until the money ran out, then take on a full time morning job (7:00am > 3:00pm) and pay the loan back 3-4 payments a month until it was paid off then ask for another loan. And I did this over and over a couple of times. That was November 6 1981 on my 19th birthday until August 1984. Private Pilot @ Aug. '82, Commercial @ Aug '83, CFI @ Aug '84 and I have been working ever since.
                              The Instrument ratings and Airline Transport Licenses came later.

My last job before becoming an Independent Helicopter Industry Consultant was as Business Development Advisor to a Helicopter division of China's 4th Largest Airline, and the last helicopter I flew on a regular basis an AW139 US$16,000,000.00 dollar machine to carry up to 15 passengers plus 2 Pilots.

I heartily recommend that if you like it, just do it. You can find a way! It's a pretty good career, I've no regrets and there is a shortage of helicopter pilots that needs to be filled!

Good luck if you decide to go with it!
                              Bob

Always ready for pizza

Comment

No, not a kit. I have an inside workspace that is heated--so decided to make the oven indoors and then haul it outdoors when the weather improved. Now that the weather is getting nice, it is outdoors getting cured. You can look if you have time--under Structural slab for new WFO--same area we are in right now. I have no talent for brickwork so made forms instead. So far, I'd do the same in a snap. I think the Egyptians would have cast their pyramids instead of using stones--if they had castable...Same for the Italians and their ovens. But brick is continuing a tradition so go for it!

Right now, don't know where to put the WFO..most of our usable space is set aside for vegetables and flowers...now wood storage for indoor stove--and additional for oven! maybe have to go two story on the garden?

Comment

Working...
                                X