New Member- New build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Member- New build

I wish I had access to talus that looked like that....bonus that it is soft too. Usually stone with iron oxide is hard and does a number on chisels.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally had our clearing fire tonight. Ran 2 milk crates of oak thru it. Outside was 80 to 110 degrees.
      Hearth brick was 220
      and adjacent travertine tile was 110 with 1/8" air gap. Under slab was 70.
      My wife decided to cook some sausages for dinner. :-D

Scratch coat tomorrow.

Comment

Looking great!! You're going to have to change the title of your thread soon - no longer a "new member with a new build"!!

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks boerwarrior. Go ahead and pick a title and I'll change it. lol

Scratch is done. Not satisfied with the chimney transition tho. I have 8" on for a temporary flue.
          My 6" came yesterday. I think I need a big piece of flagstone for a lid,
          just put a 6" hole in it and call it a lid. :-D We will see.

Comment

That would look cool, though you may want to somehow buffer the stone with insulation, and not set it directly on the vent brick. Or use soapstone...that would look awesome IMO.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Calisdad View Post
              Not satisfied with the chimney transition tho. I have 8" on for a temporary flue.
              My 6" came yesterday. I think I need a big piece of flagstone for a lid,
              just put a 6" hole in it and call it a lid. :-D We will see.
              How about adding a new or antique chimney pot? Might be a cool addition to what allready looks like a nice WFO.
              Chris

Link to my photo album:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Thanks hodgey 1. That was my first choice- a nice ornamental terra cotta flue, but I placed the oven too close to my house and I need 12' of pipe to clear the smoke away.

Comment

That's to bad, because doing the igloo stlye like you are, the decorative terra cotta would have looked very nice. Another idea I thought was maybe continue a few more rows of brick above the adapter plate?
                  Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Brown coat got done today. The curved float I made sure kept things from getting bumpy.

Comment

Looks great C-Dad. How long before pizza?
                      Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

I'm going to go chase some pheasants for a week or 2 then it's game on.

Time to start finding pizza dough recipes. My wife has some heritage tomatoes she dried and canned so we can't wait. :-D

Thanks h1

Comment

C-Dad
                          I've posted this recipe previously, thought you might like it.

This is my favorite recipe, I?ve been working on it for years. It is extremely simple yet needs some patients to gain texture and full flavor in the refridge. I have found 3-4 days to be my favorite. I've made it and used it the same day with decent results but use 120* water to start. I have also had one dough that was over a week old that was very good, near sour dough flavor.

This recipe makes Qty: 2 Size: 13-14" pizzas
                          ? 370g Flour
                          ? 250g room temp water
                          ? 1 tsp rapid rise yeast
                          ? 1.5 tsp fine sea salt

Techniques:
                          ? Weigh water and flour. Salt & yeast I use a measuring spoon
                          ? I use food a processor ?FP?, I've done it by hand, by stand mixer and combination, the FP does it best and is the quickest.
                          ? Pulse together dry ingredients. Flour and salt first then add yeast.
                          ? Run FP full on and add all the water at once and continue running for 45 seconds. That's it, it's done.
                          ? Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and divide dough in half; knead into ball, putting each in a sealed, lightly oiled round plastic container, spray top of dough also. Immediately refrigerate for 3-4 days. Putting them in a round container helps with shaping later.
                          ? Remove dough?s from refridge an hour, no more than two hours before making pizzas.

Must do's and don?ts:
                          ? Do not degas while stretching dough! Lightly flour both sides of dough and gently knead out the size crust edge you want with finger tips on floured surface, then smack dough between hands to begin stretch. Then use floured fists to gently stretch while turning constantly, Lay dough on peel or counter and make pizza
                          ? If making on a peel use semolina for sliding off .
                          ? Use High Gluten flour with at least 13% protein from Sam's Club, King Author any good quality hi gluten flour
                          ? Don?t overdo the sauce or overdo the toppings.
                          ? I like a mixture of provolone and mozzarella cheese.
                          ? I am now doing this in my newly constructed Wood Fired Oven with great results with floor at around 700* -750* in front of active fire. I?ve been doing it for years in my house oven with a stone insert that has been preheated at least an hour at 550* with very good results.
                          ? Extra dough, hmm. Having a salad or pasta? Preheat your gas grill, stretch the dough like you?re going to make pizza without shaping crust, throw on your hot grill. As soon as it sets up take tongs flip it over and smother the entire top with a mixture of Olive oil and melted butter with brush, sprinkle with granulated garlic, garlic salt and parmesan cheese. When done, remove, cut into whatever shape hits you and serve hot.
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

Thanks for sharing h1!

Interesting that you let it 'cure' for several days. When I make lasagna I do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Calisdad View Post
                              Thanks for sharing h1!

Interesting that you let it 'cure' for several days. When I make lasagna I do the same.
                              I'll have to give the Lasagna idea a try. The process of letting your dough rise slowly, really makes a big difference. Its not a cure but its a slower fermentation process than setting it out at room temp, I highly recommend at least overnight. As far as the rest of the recipe the only others thing that I think makes a big difference is the high protein/gluten flour if you like the chew of a NY style pizza.
                              Chris

Link to my photo album:

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally got around to the color coat.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, where is the cook??

Comment

Working...
                                X