Pre Building stages !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre Building stages !

So we're in the planning stage of our pizza oven and are very excited ...we have no backyard space so we plan on building ours up on our deck on a custom built steel stand on casters (not sure if casters are a good idea?) Wondering what size oven will keep us around 300-500 lbs so as to not add too much weight onto our deck.We can reinforce the deck but would rather not! Of course we'd like the oven to be a good enough size for more than one pizza at a time. And if anyone has a photo's of a similiar build please let us know where to find them ! So excited !Thanks !

Re: Pre Building stages !

apparently this was a difficult question

Comment

I'm just a newbie here, but am quite experienced w/construction. My opinion is, no way. For sure a no way on the rollers. Also, your deck was probably not built for that use. Perhaps w/some modifications to your deck, it may be doable and should be. I just imagine that an oven that size would probably be more than 3-500lbs. Also, folks tend to congregate around the WFO a lot, adding even more "live" load. The folks here @FB should be able to give you an estimated weight and then find someone who really, really knows what they are doing to see if a reasonable modification can be done to your existing deck.
      My Build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Here's my 0.02cents worth - a 3" pad that your oven sits on weighs around 360lbs, not including water to mix it and rebar. Add in your oven (mine is a 36" modular from FB and weights close to 900lbs). Add your stucco on top of that, the weight of your steel stand, and you are close to 1500lbs or more. To concentrate all that weight on 4 castors is something your deck was not meant to hold. At the least, you may want to get an engineer to draw up a plan for you. Otherwise agree with everything that NCman has said.

May not be the answer you are looking for, but hope it helps.
        Last edited by ncsmoker; 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM.
        My build:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...ild-20119.html

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosGregory View Post
          So we're in the planning stage of our pizza oven and are very excited ...we have no backyard space so we plan on building ours up on our deck on a custom built steel stand on casters (not sure if casters are a good idea?) Wondering what size oven will keep us around 300-500 lbs so as to not add too much weight onto our deck.We can reinforce the deck but would rather not! Of course we'd like the oven to be a good enough size for more than one pizza at a time. And if anyone has a photo's of a similiar build please let us know where to find them ! So excited !Thanks !
          How many people are you planning to cater for? Most folk in a home situation cook one pizza at a time regardless of oven size. This is because it is easier to manage and the preparation takes way longer than the cooking. Remember that it only takes around 90 secs per pizza to cook. My little oven can pump out 30 pizzas per hour and provided that all the guests share whatever comes out of the oven, parties of around 30 people are easy.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Carlos

I have what would be considered a small Pompeii oven: 32 inches. I estimate the weight of the 'core' part of the oven to be over 3,000 pounds!

Neil
            Last edited by boerwarrior; 01-22-2014, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Based on your reqirements: I would select a corner of my deck to build the oven stationary. I would build the smallest pompeii that would fit the type cooking that I was geared to, and finish in an igloo desisgn. I would build the foundation/stand up from below subsoil with concrete/masonry for support. For the preparation tables ( which would eat up a lot more area), I would use foldouts. They could be removed for noncooking related events. But the fire within, could always be used for "ambience" .

Just Sayin' .
              Last edited by Gulf; 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I agree w/all that Gulf says. Except, if you go that way, which is highly advisable, w/a foundation on the ground, built up through the deck, then you can do anything you like. As long as you put in a proper foundation, you are good to go. I'd pay attention to combustibles, though. Check your clearances. It's just that the deck is not suitable for a base.
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

A typical deck is only built to handle around 55 pounds per square foot (depending on your area and possibility for snow).
                  http://n8sbar.servebeer.com/

Oven Thread

Kitchen/Bar Thread

Comment

Working...
                  X