• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCMan
    replied
    Re: Pizza oven problem?

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I know parging as a thin masonry coating too,and use the expression.

The difference is, the term parge is not normally used to describe a decorative finish, but as a rough coat or a back coat on veneer work.

When I build with mortar, I'll parge the backs of the stone as I go, so as not to leave voids into the cavity or the bed mortar. I parge the stone even when there is no cavity, because it functions like burning thinset onto tile...so the back filled mortar forms a better bond to the stone through the parge.
    Yeah, it's kind of like "backbuttering" tile. Although I have nowhere near the experience you do, it's funny, I do the same thing. I usually burn a bit of mortar on the wall where the stone is going to bond, then immediately set the stone, so it bonds good. Now I feel better, knowing I'm doing it right. I knew I was, but it's nice to see it said by someone w/your experience. I guess I did learn a thing or two working w/all those oldtimers when I was still wet behind the ears as a greenhorn.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I know parging as a thin masonry coating too,and use the expression.

The difference is, the term parge is not normally used to describe a decorative finish, but as a rough coat or a back coat on veneer work.

When I build with mortar, I'll parge the backs of the stone as I go, so as not to leave voids into the cavity or the bed mortar. I parge the stone even when there is no cavity, because it functions like burning thinset onto tile...so the back filled mortar forms a better bond to the stone through the parge.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-18-2014, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• NCMan
    replied

Whether you are Aussie or not, stucco and rendering are the same thing....in your case, the meaning of the word changes but not the true definition of what is being done.

Internationally, they mean the same thing....being international forum is the reason for the earlier post.
    Interesting discussion. We have always called it "parging". I had never heard the term "rendering" until I came on here. It took me a bit of time until I figured out what that meant. And "stucco" was always a decorative masonry cladding (w/texture) that was applied to exteriors of homes, etc. That's one of the fun things about a forum like this that is virtually worldwide, the terminology, slang, etc. It's all good! But.....I'll keep "parging".

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Whether you are Aussie or not, stucco and rendering are the same thing....in your case, the meaning of the word changes but not the true definition of what is being done.

Internationally, they mean the same thing....being international forum is the reason for the earlier post.
    G'day
    Your not wrong about the international thing. I was in a discussion on stand sizes and deliberately didnt start quoting measurements cause it was in ins and ft. Gulf started quoting sizes and I could visually see in my mind the sizes without converting them. Creepy I haven't used imperial since a kid in the 70s when Aust changed to metric
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
    Here in South Oz, we don't use the terms interchangeably.
    When we speak of render, we generally mean a smooth exterior coating of cement/lime/sand mixture that is trowelled flat.
    When we speak of stucco, especially if the guy holding the trowel is of Italian (Molfettese) descent, we are generally speaking of textured exterior finishes.

Wiki says stucco was traditionally textured for appearance, then the definition of cement render is so similar its all the same stuff as far as I can see.

In any case, being an Aussie, I'd render an igloo shaped oven, not stucco it.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Well if that's the case its stucco for me ...... The texture surface hides the imperfections in my finish
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• wotavidone
    replied

Here in South Oz, we don't use the terms interchangeably.
    When we speak of render, we generally mean a smooth exterior coating of cement/lime/sand mixture that is trowelled flat.
    When we speak of stucco, especially if the guy holding the trowel is of Italian (Molfettese) descent, we are generally speaking of textured exterior finishes.

Wiki says stucco was traditionally textured for appearance, then the definition of cement render is so similar its all the same stuff as far as I can see.

In any case, being an Aussie, I'd render an igloo shaped oven, not stucco it.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Not exclusively American, but render is interchangeable universally.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Stucco is the American term. Render is probably the term that you use in Ireland. Sand, portent cement, lime, and it should be available in a premix form.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Goofypr
    replied

To note, I had it covered all winter with a bbq pizza oven specially for it. But we had a lot of rain. So that could well have soaked it non the less.

Leave a comment:

• Goofypr
    replied

Thanks for the replies folks. I have lit a couple of fires. And it has improved slightly. I hope to get it going this weekend as we have a bank holiday here and hopefully it will improve further.
    With next winter in mind:
    The stucco people talk of, can this be bought anywhere? Us it paint? Or should I put a sand/cement mix over it first, then paint it?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

There is a valuable lesson to be learned here.
    Your oven obviously works fine when properly dried out and over the winter or wet period, it absorbs water which retards it's performance. As vermiculite will absorb moisture out of the air and readily absorb water that comes into contact with it, you will need to dry it out again and slowly, but most of all protect it from doing it again. Build a cover over it or wrap it when not in use to ensure that it does not get wet nor able to absorb the high humidity of moist air.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Your cladding is made from vermiculite/cement? That is an insulating mix, and if you don't have a stucco shell over it, there's no wonder your oven is saturated. Any pics?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day Geoff
    Sorry that your post has remained unanswered for so long.
    You are right its pretty well soaked I'd say. Low and slow fires for a while. That's not so bad you can bake some really nice meals. As it drys and starts to give you the higher temps...Back Off .. And be patient. It will come good with time.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Goofypr
    started a topic Pizza oven problem?

Pizza oven problem?

Hi all. Not to sure where to post this, but need advice.

I built an oven last year and have a vermiculate base(2 inches) and a dome on top with two layers of vermiculate blanket and covered with vermiculate/cement mix. Last year it heated very well and made great pizza.
    We have had a very wet winter, and the dome appears damp this year.

Upon firing it does not get anywhere near enough hot anymore. From 400degrees celcius last year, to 100 Celsius this year.

The floor appears to not be heating anymore. There is a firebrick 4 piece floor, covered by a 4 piece dome. I have fired it a few times to try and dry it out.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Geoff.
Working...
X