• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting my barrel started!

Another pic with just the floor bottom.

Comment

Busy weekend! Got my arch support built and in place. I'm glad I used 1/2 inch drywall as it allowed for quick small adjustments with the utility knife.

I'm so thankful I bought a premixed mortar. I found in convenient to lay 4-8 bricks then pop the lid back on when the kids started attacking each other. I started wetting the bricks for the first row. Then stopped for the rest. Having a wet brick just made it harder to spread a smooth layer. When i used a dry brick I was kicking butt and getting them perfect on the first try. It still allowed me plenty of time to get the entire row in place.

Comment

Added another later to the sides and back.

Been searching for methods people have used to stop heat transfer from the oven floor out.

Comment

Side note I've been having problems uploading pics. I started emailing them to myself on the iPhone and cutting down on the resolution. Problem solved.

Comment

You should be fine as far as buttressing goes there. Looking good!

Comment

Thanks for the opinion on the barrel having sufficient support. This means I can relax and focus on putting the arch together. I'm trying to do about 3 layers a day which means the barrel should be done in a week.

Rott

Comment

I think it took about 3 hours to do mine, and that was 2 layers of (thin) firebrick. No worries, take your time and enjoy the process.

Comment

Your right that I'm obsessing over each brick being level and perfect way to much. I think it's the carpenter in me. I should just throw the barrel up as no one will ever see the thing.

Comment

Yeah, you are tapering them so you are not going to be going fast. And as I am sure you know, do not cut the tapers too far in advance of the working face or you will be recutting them

Comment

Actually I found about 200 wedges that are working great. If you look at this latest pic, you'll see I'm doing 2 rows wedges and then a flat to get the curve I want. The flats are the darker row as I had to dig them out of my fence line.
                      Last edited by Rotterdam; 08-05-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Just keep on bond and you are Gold.

Comment

Picked up a tandem trailer of oak and maple logs tonight. For my indoor fireplace I generally cut them around 18''. What do you experienced burners think ? Do I want to keep it shorter or keep a variety?

Thanks

Rott

Comment

18" is fine, but you probably want them smaller diameter than you would normally use in the fireplace. I like them about 4-5" diameter max.

Comment

Thanks tscar for the advice!

Didn't make much progress today as my three year old broke his collar bone and I was transporting him from doctor to X-ray to doctor. Luckily he will heal up nicely. I did manage 4 courses and should seal up the top tomorrow....that will be the test on how bad I'm off true. Another pic from the back side.

Till tomorrow

Rotterdam

Comment

Rain, rain and more rain...

I laid a row and it's not drying fast. Looks like ill need a few more days to get the barrel finished. I liked using the sheet rock for the forms if I need to take a bit off its a quick poke with the trowel and if I need to add a bit I turn a screw into it to float the brick out. Not to mention when it's time to pull them out they will cut or break easy. The two layers of plywood might become part of the second firing.

Comment

Working...
                                X