Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Getting ready to start a build in Georgia

Hello Stonecutter

I am going to get a couple of bags of Heatstop 50 as I am unable to find "S" type lime.

The block work is finished and the corner voids are filled with concrete and rebar. The other voids are filled with broken bricks and topped off with concrete.

I will be going with a 5" thick hearth slab but adding 1" to the height by raising the forms around the blocks. This is to raise the oven floor an 1" I will also have a 5" overhang on the slab so that I can finish the oven with the same bricks as the house.

Hope to get the forms finished tomorrow and the slab poured by the weekend.

David

Comment

Hello All

Picked up 2 bags of Heatstop 50. It is expensive but I have not been able to find "S" type lime so I had no other choice. I will be getting some more FB so that I can have 3" if insulation under the hearth bricks.

I got the slab poured today. About 1/2 way through mixing 20 80lb bags of concrete I thought that a truck with redimix would have been a good idea.

David

Comment

Hello All

The entry way bricks will be on 3" of FB like the oven floor. My question is this. Should the entry way arch support columns be on the FB, Cast V cement or on the concrete slab? The FB seems to have a bit of give to it so I was concerned that it may not be able to support the weight of the arch and chimney.

Thank you.
        David

Comment

Arch support columns sitting directly on the support slab will bleed residual heat from the oven if you have no heatbreak. Most builders place the entryway and oven on fiber board or vermicrete, which are more than up to the task of supporting the weight.

Comment

Hello GianniFocaccia

Thank you for your input.

I will cast 3" Vcrete blocks to go under the arch support and then mortaring them to the slab.. I think that by casting them separate from the slab I can avoid getting the FB wet.

David

Comment

Working...
            X