Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to start a build in Georgia

Hello All.

I built the 2 color brick Barrel oven last year and had almost finished it when I found the design had serious flaws. No insulation under the hearth for one. It worked but poorly.

Now I am getting ready to start a 36" Pompeii style oven. I have been lurking here for several months gathering ideas and information. Thank you to all the contributors here.

The Location will be in the breezeway which has several advantages. Close to the back door and under cover so the oven will get more use. Also the footings are in place.
    The main disadvantage will be the chimney. It will have to go through the roof or angle out under the eaves. Not finalized that yet.

Have cut the hearth bricks and several chains for a trial fit and to check to see what it will look like. Trying out ideas.

My IT tool seems to work now. Had the mounting point wrong at first.

Some photos of the start.

David
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IT tool.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	320696

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trial layout.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	320697

Re: Getting ready to start a build in Georgia

G'day
    The term "breezeway " is interesting. I've not googled it on purpose.
    In Australia it was the covered connection between the main house and the kitchen, which had a WFO and was hot especially in summer. Hence the separation from the main structure and the cool breezy separation.
    What do you call a breezeway ?
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hello Dave

It is a covered connection between the house and garage. Used for all sorts of things, storing fire wood, staying dry between the car and kitchen etc. I can post a photo.

A few questions.
      I have some "S" type lime that is a year old. Does it age like Portland cement?

Dry stack or mortar the stand blocks?

Trying to see how people hide the insulation at the front of the hearth.

Best regards
      David

Comment

G'day
        Thanks for the pic that's a great side area. Perfect for a WFO
        and outside entertainment.
        I sure that lime would be right as long as it has been kept dry and hasn't hardened into lumps.
        As for dry stacked V mortared. Dry stacking easy but you have to remember the block sizes are built to take in a mortar gape so you'll end up with some gapes. It's not a bad idea to mortar the first row down anyway as it will enable you to get the first row level. Get out your tape each level and measure the diagonals each course so it stays square. A dry course is a must as well even if its under cover, it's there to stop the moisture comng up into the structure.
        As for covering the insulation you can cover it with render when you render the base or use stone or tile. I used a row of brick then put my insulation in that. There are heaps of ways of doing it but it is important to think of it now. Its a bit of overkill but you can include another moisture barrier under the insulation layer and remember you stand covering might need in the end as well as it can often breach you moisture barriers.
        Hope something here might help
        Regards dave
        Before I forget you might consider a H shape for the stand it makes 2
        Smaller wood stowages rather than one large on which makes it hard to access the back without crawling
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hello Dave

Thank you for the info.

I think the lime is still lose powder. Maybe a few lumps, I will have to dig through the bag.
          Presume you are referring to a damp proof course in the blocks as they do in UK using roofing felt or similar material.
          I had been thinking about 2 openings in the base to ease access. Still playing with blocks.
          I think that I will mortar the blocks as it will give me about 2" more height. 4 blocks seems low 5 seems too high. Half high blocks would work. I discovered the need to check my block work as I go. On the last build I got off a bit.

We store firewood in the breezeway for our wood fire in the house so the under oven storage is not so important.

Having to go back to work so the oven is on hold for a few weeks. More time to read and plan.

Thank you for the ideas
          Best regards
          David

Comment

Picked up my Fiber Board and Blanket. I was in Atlanta GA and took the chance to pick up the insulation. It saved a 150 mile round trip.

Is there much advantage to adding 1" of Vermiculite Concrete under the fiber board? I will be putting 2" of fiber board under the hearth.

Has anyone made 1" thick Vermiculite Concrete slabs. Allowed them to set and fully cure then setting them in the Hearth pour.

Still out of town working so I have not made any progress on the build.

Comment

Hello All

I am back in town and have started on the block stand today.

The hearth floor is going to end up at about 42". Does this sound a bit too low? I do have some half high blocks which would give me a 46" hearth.
              Hoping to pour the hearth slab before Christmas.

I will be getting some more Fiber Board so I will have 3" of insulation under the hearth.
              Will post photos of the block work in the morning.

Comment

Just above elbow height is a comfortable level.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Looking at your second picture, are you leaving enough room between the masonry and your house for insulation and cladding?

BTW, toss the bag of Type S ....it's $8-$10 we're talking about.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hello Stonecutter

Thank you for your input.
                    The elbow measurement works for setting a vice on a bench so it should be about right for the oven floor.

The photo is a bit misleading and I may have moved a bit further from the existing wall for that very reason. Went out to check the to see how much room I will have and it is about 9 to 10" between the outside of the oven brickwork and the wall. It will probable be a pain to do the rendering on the dome.

I take it that S type lime loses its properties when stored for a long time. Had a hard time finding it but I will get a new bag.

Would not win any prizes for speed on block laying.

Comment

Great setting for your oven. You will like having a direct line of sight from the window to the inside of your oven to monitor your fires from inside.

Take your time on your build, worry more about quality than speed, and enjoy the journey.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

John

Comment

Hello John

I had not thought about the fact that I can see the fire from the kitchen window.
                        It will be easier to get the bread and pizza to the oven. Only a few steps from the backdoor.

I plan on getting this one right with help from this Forum. The help and knowledge here is amazing.

Thank you.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post

I take it that S type lime loses its properties when stored for a long time. Had a hard time finding it but I will get a new bag.
                          Humidity will make the material go 'off'...harden up. If you open the bag and see zero evidence of that, then cover the mortar bag with plastic and tape it off until you're ready to use it. But if you have even a small amount of hard bits in there, trash it.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hello Stonecutter

This is just "S" type lime. Not the cement labeled "S" type. There are a few lumps that break up easily but if there is any doubt I think I will get a new bag.

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
                              Hello Stonecutter

This is just "S" type lime. Not the cement labeled "S" type. There are a few lumps that break up easily but if there is any doubt I think I will get a new bag.

David
                              Yes, understood.....the same thing apples to lime. Any hard bits means the bag was compromised by moisture.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                              X