• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrchipster
    replied
    Re: Work of Love and Passion... Miami FL

Originally posted by gugahulk View Post
    Something like this Chip? Image below, place it between the brick and wood?
    Exactly, used at bottom of support post used in pairs thin edges overlapping each other to preserve a constant thickness (no slope) on the support.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Just concerned about new work in contact with old work. There is sometimes settling that you do not anticipate. Here we always need to think about frost heave but I think you are OK in Miami.
    Thanks buddy, So no need for anything there right. I should be ok.. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Shims for setting windows and doors will work well, for your install they might get wet prior to cur of concrete so get the plastic ones. HD or Lowes sell them in the millwork area.
    Something like this Chip? Image below, place it between the brick and wood?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Thanks for the advice Chip, you really think its necessary? I will go with what you say but that did not even cross my mind. What is the worst case scenario if I don't do this? What could happen?
    Just concerned about new work in contact with old work. There is sometimes settling that you do not anticipate. Here we always need to think about frost heave but I think you are OK in Miami.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

David can you give me an example of the wedges you are talking about? I have no clue what those are or look like.
    Shims for setting windows and doors will work well, for your install they might get wet prior to cur of concrete so get the plastic ones. HD or Lowes sell them in the millwork area.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    A pic from underneath the form will help.
    I will get pictures when I get home tonight underneath, I am interested on the wedges that you guys are talking about, But I have no clue what they are or what they look like. Has anyone ever used it and can show me what they are? I would really appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
    Hello
    I put wedges under the support legs so that I could remove the wedge and had some room to get the legs out. I will post a photo of my forms.

Good luck with the pour. Lots of work by hand and not much less with a mixer.

David
    David can you give me an example of the wedges you are talking about? I have no clue what those are or look like.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

I have done this before and it worked well for me.

I used 4x4 verticals cut at about a 20 degree angle. Then add ply or solid wood plates to each side and attach with screws.

When your concerte forms need to come off, unscrew the plates and the support beam will come apart easily.

It slope of the cut needs to be shallow because you still want the load transferred vertically as much as possible. A steep angle will allow the 4x4 to buckle.

I have not tried this with anything smaller than a 4x4 so use your own judgement regarding applicability to your project.

I show the cut in the middle of the beam but I actually had it close to the top to also reduce the tendency to buckle.

For extra support you could add plates on all 4 sides
    This is a great idea, I should have done this before anything. But looks like so much work now... I am going to rethink it. It seems like everyone is thinking its going to be hard to remove the forms once slab is cured. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

I would add an expansion joint between your new slab and the Brasilian BBQ where the new concrete meets the old brick. It could be a piece of 1/4 inch ply that you slide out later and fill with caulk rope then caulk or sheet expansion joint foam prior to the pour.
    Thanks for the advice Chip, you really think its necessary? I will go with what you say but that did not even cross my mind. What is the worst case scenario if I don't do this? What could happen?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have done this before and it worked well for me.

I used 4x4 verticals cut at about a 20 degree angle. Then add ply or solid wood plates to each side and attach with screws.

When your concerte forms need to come off, unscrew the plates and the support beam will come apart easily.

It slope of the cut needs to be shallow because you still want the load transferred vertically as much as possible. A steep angle will allow the 4x4 to buckle.

I have not tried this with anything smaller than a 4x4 so use your own judgement regarding applicability to your project.

I show the cut in the middle of the beam but I actually had it close to the top to also reduce the tendency to buckle.

For extra support you could add plates on all 4 sides
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Base getting ready for concrete. Please any advice would be great. See the pictures below and if I am doing anything wrong now is the time... :-) Look forward to any comments.
    I would add an expansion joint between your new slab and the Brasilian BBQ where the new concrete meets the old brick. It could be a piece of 1/4 inch ply that you slide out later and fill with caulk rope then caulk or sheet expansion joint foam prior to the pour.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-02-2015, 01:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

This is my biggest fear. I think I have enough but how do you know? If this things blowout I would die.... LOL Did you see the photos? by what you see do I have enough? What do you think? I also placed 2 bricks under every support legs so I can remove them easily. ...............
    The brick under the supports may seem easy to remove now. But, when the full weight of the concrete hearth is on them, they will not. The wedges that, David is recomending, serve more that one purpose. They not only allow for easy removal of vertical supports. They also help keep from introducing unnecessary stresses on green concrete when removing the posts. If you have to knock them to the side for removal, you are also jacking the form up slightly. When the post finally gives way laterally, the deck is also falling slightly, but abruptly. That will not be a problem on a 28 day cure, but many on this site seem to want to remove vertical forms too early imo.

A pic from underneath the form will help.
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by DavidApp View Post
    Hello

You need plenty of support under the forms and for the sides of the forms as well. Wet concrete is heavy and you do not want a blowout.
    David
    This is my biggest fear. I think I have enough but how do you know? If this things blowout I would die.... LOL Did you see the photos? by what you see do I have enough? What do you think? I also placed 2 bricks under every support legs so I can remove them easily.

HELP, HELP, and more HELP
    Concrete mixing I HATE. So I am asking a few buddies to give me a hand and plan on renting a concrete mixer for the pour but it still a B!%$# to do. I am quite nervous about this one. I've done some concrete tables before but nothing this size. This thing is a monster next to my 2 other creations. Totally Freaking OUT!!!! LOL....

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello

You need plenty of support under the forms and for the sides of the forms as well. Wet concrete is heavy and you do not want a blowout. Also make sure you can get the forms out after the concrete has set. I put wedges under the support legs so that I could remove the wedge and had some room to get the legs out. I will post a photo of my forms.

Good luck with the pour. Lots of work by hand and not much less with a mixer.

David

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by BuilderMakerCreator View Post
    Hello,

Another super low cost insulation available to you is to use Perlite (2 cu-ft bag from Home Depot or Lowes for $16 or a 4 cu-ft bag for $10 at Atlantic FEC in Homestead, Fl).
    Thanks for this, I will looking to it. My goal so far is 4 to 5 ceramic blankets and 4 inches on the floor. Maybe 2 more inches on the dome of perlcrete. What do you think? Also 4 inches on dome as mass and 2.25 inches on the floor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X