replied
    Re: Begining stand construction

Looks good!

Why the out turned block, though?

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Just finished stacking the fourth course. If I do anything else this week it'll just be the concrete and rebar in the cores.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
    Actually I think its gonna be better where its at now, you can use the space between the garage and the oven for say a counter. An L shape along the oven and the fencing. Heck you could take the fencing out and make that section of the L an area to sit at the counter and look out into the rest of the yard then use that area along the oven as a prep area. Or you could put a smaller version of the BBQ keeping it close to the edge of the oven and make the rest counter..Just what you need though right another project..

Then again if you moved it a little more to the left you could.......
    Just bustin your @#$s Looks good
    I was thinking just that. I plan on putting the grill on the right side of the oven, but instead of it facing the house (the way the oven faces) it will face the garage wall. This should still leave a lot of the space on the right open for either a prep counter or a small sitting area. I'll map out the footprint with the leftover blocks I have.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
    Glad you moved it, I was afraid to say something as you might have already poured the hearth or something...

Drake
    lol...I'm just glad that this site is available for people to talk some sense into me. I was going to leave it where it was and just hope for the best should an inspector come by. But I just needed that little nudge so that I would get off my lazy tail and move it while it was still possible.

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Glad you moved it, I was afraid to say something as you might have already poured the hearth or something...

Drake

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    lol, actually I have but decided against it b/c I'm not quite sure of what I'll utilize the adjacent space for. Better for it to just face forward so only that immediate area will need to be clear. Also, I'm cutting the 10' pretty close, and with it on the diagonal it would put the chimney about 1' closer to the wall of the garage. Nice try though...

I'd think the diagonal would move the chimney further away ~shrug~

Ah well, maybe next time...

Leave a comment:

• Unofornaio
    replied

Actually I think its gonna be better where its at now, you can use the space between the garage and the oven for say a counter. An L shape along the oven and the fencing. Heck you could take the fencing out and make that section of the L an area to sit at the counter and look out into the rest of the yard then use that area along the oven as a prep area. Or you could put a smaller version of the BBQ keeping it close to the edge of the oven and make the rest counter..Just what you need though right another project..

Then again if you moved it a little more to the left you could.......
    Just bustin your @#$s Looks good

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Originally posted by Archena View Post
    (Okay, quick guys - let's think of something that'll make him have to move that first course again! )

Actually, being serious now, have you thought about putting it on the diagonal? You'd probably get a better set up that way.
    lol, actually I have but decided against it b/c I'm not quite sure of what I'll utilize the adjacent space for. Better for it to just face forward so only that immediate area will need to be clear. Also, I'm cutting the 10' pretty close, and with it on the diagonal it would put the chimney about 1' closer to the wall of the garage. Nice try though...

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

(Okay, quick guys - let's think of something that'll make him have to move that first course again! )

Actually, being serious now, have you thought about putting it on the diagonal? You'd probably get a better set up that way.

Leave a comment:

• BrianShaw
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    ... but I was hoping that I could somehow convince anyone asking that this wasn't technically a masonry chimney.
    Me too, but then I investigated the Los Angeles building code and it seems that brick oven = outside fireplace, both of which have the same chimney code.

For my planned site I only need another 2 feet of clearance so I was going to put a 30 deg. bend in mine and angle the fluepipe over the oven and come up in the back of the oven enclosure rather than straight up the front. That would give me 10 feet from the structure. But then I started thinking that if it didn't have a chimney at all, then it might conform by default.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Just finished re-doing the first course. This location will satisfy the code, as the location of the chimney will be at least 10 feet away from anything. I'll stack the rest of the courses tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

lol...well nobody said this wouldn't be a learning experience. Yea I kinda knew about the two feet over anything within ten feet, but I was hoping that I could somehow convince anyone asking that this wasn't technically a masonry chimney.
    But to put my heart at rest with not ever having to worry about that, I've decided to move the stand over....again. I was actually done dry stacking everything as you can see in the pictures. I just finished taking everything down...again...and now I"m about to mix up some more mortar to start the leveling again. Oh well...at least I can get out of mowing the lawn...lol.
    Last edited by rlf5; 07-30-2007, 05:25 AM. Reason: left out the picture of mortar

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

I must agree with BrianShaw, I am concerned that the chimney on this will not be up to code...may give you trouble when you try to sell the house. I believe the chimney must be 2' taller than any structure within 10 feet...

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Just finished the last block to level on the first course, and then I went ahead and stacked the second course. Two more to go. I'm taking a break in between each course so that should help. I'd go ahead and fill the cores with concrete and rebar today, but the backyard needs to be mowed.

Leave a comment:

• Unofornaio
    replied

Looking good....Take a break and go stack the rest of them come on.... you can have the whole base up today. Go Go Go
    Oh yea the humidity, when I moved out here from PA Id have to say that was a HUGE motivator..In the summer time working with my Dad we would start at first light literally and work till about noon sometimes when it got really bad. Now I'm in Bakersfield where a week of 105 is not at all un common among the other weeks of merely 98-100-02. Something about greener grass comes to mind....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X