Crack in the hearth slab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crack in the hearth slab

Christo, that's an interesting site you found there. It'd be nice to know more about concrete strength, necessary reinforcement ect ect, but its difficult to come up with relevant info. Do you happen to know how heat resistant concrete is? Could you light a fire on a concrete slab, or would it crack beyond recognition?

George, no problem, go ahead and second guess (or even third and fourth guess) my work . I'm always glad of input. I got most of my info off this site anyway, and just tried to follow the guidelins to the best of my ability.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

"I have one in mine as well... actually two."

All reinforced concrete slabs over a certain size will crack. The trick is to make it crack where you want it. If you cast an expantion type joint it will crack at that location. The attached picture shows one of four joints I put in the circumference of a round structural slab. It cracked at each of the joints.

If the crack dosen't widen over time don't worry too much about it. I would not worry about sealing it either unless you are worried about the cosmetics of it.

Comment

Actually, My comment was suggesting that you shouldn't question your work. I would never question it. I question mine all the time and more often than you can imagine, ususally with good reason.
        I followed the same plans as you.

Sounds like Neil knows what he's talking about. I'd follow his lead.
        G.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
        X