• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well i quess im building an oven!

Ok just a shot in the dark

Comment

Hi Lance,

My oven just endured a nasty first winter and record snow melt and my slab-on-gravel foundation came through without any problem. What you've got planned should be just fine.
      Good luck!
      As you've likely discovered already, there is help available here every step of the way if you want it - this forum is comprised of an amazing group of people!

Sarah

Comment

As you've likely discovered already, there is help available here every step of the way if you want it - this forum is comprised of an amazing group of people!

Thanks i couldnt agree more.

Comment

Finally have stable weather, i was wondering instead of getting sand and gravel seperatly cant i just use road gravel withy sand in it already?

Comment

When I went to get my sand and gravel at the brickyard, they offered to mix them, but I got them separately. I was afraid that the sand would all settle to the bottom of the pile, as I slowly used it. Now the gravel pile gathers leaves, and the sand pile slowly washes into the garden. I really need to finish that last bit of concrete work...
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well after many setbacks i finally poured the foundation today
              June is my month for this oven, ill be able to do alot!!!

Comment

Great! What did you decide to do with your foundation (given your cold climate)?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I used the gravel foundation. I used the floating type cause i did not want to dig half way to china!

Comment

I don't blame you. Although I'm comfortable with a solid foundation, I'm not sure it was worth the time and cost. If I were to do it again, I'd reconsider the floating foundation.
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

So.... impatient me wants to know how soon i can build my block stand? Is three days enough? Ive been wetting the slab every twelve hours and have a tarp on it. Let me know guys, i want to go nuts this month!!!

Comment

Hmmm, good question. I'd wait a week if it was mine. A 3 day cure and you can still make scratches in new concrete.
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I always heard that you should wait a week, too. Still plenty of the month to go nuts in, even after waiting another couple of days...
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE, PA.........

Comment

I feel for you...
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I just looked at dmun's geodesic dome thread and a light came on. Less of everything, brick, morter, time. Im gonna build this the same basic way outlined in the plans but with the brick upright. I spent the last day working the angles for the dome and ill be cutting the bricks in half and in thirds and placing them on thier side, will make the work more efficient (in my mind anyway). The amount of mass ill save is tremendous, and my local hardware store has huge bags of vermiculite that has been there for years, i get at a steal So this is the new plan for my dome. I think with the cheap vermiculite i can put on 8" on my dome so the thinner walls will have plenty of insulation!

Comment

Working...
                                X