Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

I think the point is that obviously other shaped ovens work, you can cook pizza in a barrel vault (or so I've heard), but the round oven works better. For Pizza certainly.
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Okay I have been thinking about the Pompei oven and have another question, is there a reason that the bricks are cut in 1/2 is this due to the sheer amount of mass that would be needed to heat the oven therefore increasing the heat up time?

What my thought are and I am sure someone out there has probably already tried it and can give some feed back on this idea.

If a soldier course is laid in the circular pattern and then the next course is stepped out a bit and same done through every course. What the inside of the oven will look like if a Qbert game but there would be no motar needed inside. Is there any reason why this is not a good idea?

Has anyone tried it and can give some feed back.

I know it means more bricks and also means more weight but doesnt it also mean a sturdier structure ?

Regards
      Imran

Comment

Yes, cutting the bricks in half cuts down on the price of the firebrick needed and the length of time it takes to fire the oven to pizza temps. Whole bricks would be great for a bread oven in which you intended to do multiple loads of bread.

You lost me on the question about the soldier course and the subsequent courses stepping out. I'm having trouble what you're envisioning.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I think Imran meant building a dome like a hollow pyramid. Thinking about it I don’t see any way it would be self-supporting and certainly no where as strong as an arch. It sure would look cool though. Ahhhh Q-bert… what fond memories.

Comment

Originally posted by beaglestorm View Post
            I think Imran meant building a dome like a hollow pyramid. Thinking about it I don?t see any way it would be self-supporting and certainly no where as strong as an arch. It sure would look cool though. Ahhhh Q-bert? what fond memories.
            Beaglestorm,

No i mean it would still be a dome but the bricks would step in to create the dome and the inside rather then being smooth would actually be brick steps.

I know you guys are thinking why on earth but as I said B4 I think outside the box alot and also think this would look cool but wouldnt be any good for naan breads.

Just a hypothetical question.

Imran

Comment

Sounds iffy to me. I believe the dome design seems to defy gravity because of the use of a keystone in each course of brick that locks everything together, so presumably they cannot fall inward easily. That is especially true in the upper courses as the bricks angles incline more towards vertical.

It seems to me (and I certaily could be wrong) that locking each course of flat layed bricks with a keystone provides no resistance to inward collapse in the mid to upper courses.

Where's dmun?
              GJBingham

-

Comment

Thread died? How about this idea - A fully round sphere oven that rotates around a fixed central plate on which the fire is built and pizza is cooked on - something like a cement mixer? The entire oven would heat equally and provide the ulitmate in radiant, infrared and convection heat to the food.

Naaaaa...... So much for thinking outside the box!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

Hmm sounds like a good idea and if a motor is added could make a stir fry without the stirring.

Sorry BTW havent been on for a bit things have been a little crazy son was on school holidays and I cant hide behind the pc.

Imran

Comment

We had someone on the forum who built his oven chamber like you speak of and it collapsed and broke his heart. He had the dome completed and it all fell inside. You should check out this site http://www.earth-auroville.com/index and you will learn a tremendous amount about vaults arches and domes and why the are created in the method that they are...it would be very wordy to try to create a posting about it
                    Best
                    Dutch

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
                    Beaglestorm,

No i mean it would still be a dome but the bricks would step in to create the dome and the inside rather then being smooth would actually be brick steps.

I know you guys are thinking why on earth but as I said B4 I think outside the box alot and also think this would look cool but wouldnt be any good for naan breads.

Just a hypothetical question.

Imran
                    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
                      You should check out this site http://www.earth-auroville.com/index and you will learn a tremendous amount about vaults arches and domes and why the are created in the method that they are...
                      Whoops, that link is 404. Try http://www.earth-auroville.com/. It looks like the menu "vaulted structures" might be of particular interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X