Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Hiya all I am a real newbie and have done alot of reading. My wife wants a wood fire oven int he back yard and has put me in charge of design and construction.

As I said I have read alot and have looked briefly on this site but I have a few questions habe me stumped.

1. Is there a reason why the inside of the oven needs to be domed.Is that to create the swirling hot air patterns within the oven. I can understand the size of the chamber and the size of the door being to a particular spec but I cant understand why the inside needs to be domed.My wall oven is square inside after all.

2. If I use insulated firbricks should I still to a layer of vermiculite on the slab prior to laying the firebricks ?

3. The oven I am building will have an external wall that will be approximately four inches away from the wood fire chamber do I just put the insulation blanket in this void is that how the blanket works (similar to how insulation is out in the walls of my house ?)

Thanks for the helps guys as I said steep learning curve for me.

Imran

Re: Does a pizza oven roof have to be domed

Welcome.

1) http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...s-round-2.html

2) DO NOT use insulating fire brick to build your oven chamber! The point of the brick oven is to absorb heat and reflect it back on your food. The insulation layer goes on the outside of the dome, and underneath the floor.

3) The insulation blanket works like the insulation in your house, except that it is heavier, denser, and will resist high temperatures. A four inch space should be fine if you are using the blanket. Most of us put an additional layer of vermiculite on top of the blanket, with or without concrete to harden it.

Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

DMUN

Thanks for that info I am from Australia and trying to find out where I can by the FB Blankets and FB Boards it doeasnt look like there are any retailers of this product anywhere in Australia.

I have read that post for why a pizza oven cant be square, they are referring to barrel with vaulted roof as opposed to round. I am a little confised with the terms when they say round oven are they talking about 360 degree circle with a domed top, I will be making the oven from scratch like all you other DIY'er out there, it will be made from fire bricks so wont be a perfect circle and will have edges where the brick corners join do I then have to use a clay to round the inside up ???

Thanks for the help again
      Imran

Comment

Hey if you are in Melbourne there is a place in Baccus Marsh that makes and sells fire bricks, refractory clay etc. If they dont have blankets they will know who does!

Also there is a place just off Frankston Dandenong Rd if you are on that side of town.

When you are finished building the best oven tool shop is in Coburg on High St near the corner of St Georges Rd. He has all the toys you need.

A blanket is only one insulation method, there are many alternatives. For some interesting reading google search "rado hand" and "oven" you will get a link to a guy in Queensland who gives away plans for his oven design and 300+ step by step photo's. He does NOT use a blanket.

Personally I bought a kit from Pizza Ovens, Wood Fired Ovens, DIY Pizza Ovens, Pizza Oven Hire, Brick Ovens, Perth, Western Australia :: because I am a big whimp! It came with a blanket (along with the rest of the materials)

good luck

cheers

Comment

Welcome aboard Ikhan.

Here is a good posting on pizza oven shapes and styles. It's a good starting point.
          James

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...s-round-2.html
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here's a few good threads to check out under Pompeii Oven Construction: Dave's Progress, Kemo's South Austin WFO, Acoma's - I forget the name. Look at the pics!
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

James, no FB outlet in OZ?
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by talisker63 View Post
                Hey if you are in Melbourne there is a place in Baccus Marsh that makes and sells fire bricks, refractory clay etc. If they dont have blankets they will know who does!

Also there is a place just off Frankston Dandenong Rd if you are on that side of town.

When you are finished building the best oven tool shop is in Coburg on High St near the corner of St Georges Rd. He has all the toys you need.

A blanket is only one insulation method, there are many alternatives. For some interesting reading google search "rado hand" and "oven" you will get a link to a guy in Queensland who gives away plans for his oven design and 300+ step by step photo's. He does NOT use a blanket.

Personally I bought a kit from Pizza Ovens, Wood Fired Ovens, DIY Pizza Ovens, Pizza Oven Hire, Brick Ovens, Perth, Western Australia :: because I am a big whimp! It came with a blanket (along with the rest of the materials)

good luck

cheers
                Talisker

I am from Sydney and there doesnt seem much in the way of wood fire supliers or fire brick suppliers or anything else here. I have read thru the Pompei oven plans and know I can probably build this thing but find myself wondering where I would get a chimney for example, the insulation blanket and the clay bricks or motar.I have tried google and cant find too much around my neck of the woods. I will call that guy in Melbourne and see if he knows of any suppliers here in Sydney.

Also just a question for you all regarding the pompei plans I got the the chimney part of the plans and have found myself lost, that cast that is made out of concrete does that have a clay flue connected to it?

Also I am looking at doing my outside with bricks rather then the cement fibre sheets is this okay or is the cement fibre sheet use for any particular reason.

Thanks again guys
                Imran

Comment

I to am starting an oven. hi all. I am from Canberra and have found everything I need from Field Furnace in Sydney. They are only open during the week. If you speak to Andrew there he can give prices and availability. I hope my bricks will be sent out this week.

Regards
                  Mark

Comment

Ahh local knowledge!

I have seen a few posts from FB forum members in Sydney (or nearby). Keep reading the forums and check for who is near by. I recall one guy from "Charlotte Bay" which appears to be on the NSW Central Coast.

When you are finished there are also thermometers etc on eBay.

The flue that I got was marked "Reece Plumbing" so I'm sure you will find a supplier not too far away.

cheers

Comment

Any non-combustible material is fine for the exterior of your enclosure, I made mine out of brick, and in fact I didn't expose the edge of my slab, it's just one expanse of brick.

The concrete-block, wonderboard, stucco enclosure is inexpensive, thus widely used. I think a brick exterior is better, and lets you incorporate decorative arches for your entry and wood storage.

Comment

Hagrid,

Thanks for that I will contact them tomorrow and see if I can go there and look at the stuiff beforeI buy it.

Talisker I have a Reece Plumbing around the corner from me I am suprised that sell Flues as they are a plumbing supplier but I will go check them out too.

Thanks for the Help.

Comment

DMUN,

Yeah I figured it was more a from a cost perspective rather than anything else. I will be building my outer shell with bricks and then cover it with stack stone, Hopefully that will look spick.

I have been looking at this site and am finding myself with more and more questions. From what I can gather it is recommended to use a curcular base for optimal heating with regards to pizzas. Then I see in the Casa series Pizza oven and they have one that is an oval shape rather then a circular shape, isnt the ovel shape more like a barrell rather then a circiular dome, especially with those dimesions of43.2x62.9? If it is more like a barrel then why does it get hot so quickly

Ouch I have a head ache LOL infinite possibilites I see

Imran
                          Last edited by ikhan42; 04-05-2008, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ikhan42 View Post
                            DMUN,

Yeah I figured it was more a from a cost perspective rather than anything else. I will be building my outer shell with bricks and then cover it with stack stone, Hopefully that will look spick.

I have been looking at this site and am finding myself with more and more questions. From what I can gather it is recommended to use a curcular base for optimal heating with regards to pizzas. Then I see in the Casa series Pizza oven and they have one that is an oval shape rather then a circular shape, isnt the ovel shape more like a barrell rather then a circiular dome, especially with those dimesions of43.2x62.9? If it is more like a barrel then why does it get hot so quickly

Ouch I have a head ache LOL infinite possibilites I see

Imran
                            Guys no comments re the Casa series oven and the oval shape. I havent seen one but from what the description is it sounds like a barrell rather then a dome. Anyone seen one and can comment.

Imran

Comment

We'll have to wait for James to comment on that. That's a HUGE commercial oven, and I think its more of an elongated circle than a barel vault or oval oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X