ovens and earth bag construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ovens and earth bag construction

The soil needs to be a mix of clay and sand. They have all kinds of different formulas for that work. We have mostly clay soil here so we could just use what came out of the trench plus a little more we dug up down the hill. The sand came from our dry creek bed, we have about an acre of that! Our formula was 20% clay soil and 80% sand + water. The first coat of plaster was also just clay and sand with some straw added. I have heard of people using what ever type of soil they have for the bags. It is considered a "sustainable" building method, as little to no wood is used and the only cement is in the foundation. (It takes more energy and money to make cement than it is worth) My next project will be a wine cellar. All underground and round like a kiva, using the soil we dig up, what ever type that may be (probably clay). It never ends!

Comment

Wow, I'd love to try that, it looks fantastic!

But... I need a bigger garden!!
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

How structurally sound is the pearlite /cement mixture?

We have decided to make an overhang in front of the oven earth bag base. We thought of using cement board to overhang an additional 6-8 inches, making a bender board form on that, then pouring the 4” pearlite /cement mixture slab, reinforced with rebar on to that. Will it support someone using it to pull themselves up? Could I stand (135 lbs) on it to prune the wisteria?

Comment

The perlite insulation mixtures are generally not a structural layer and we try to minimize the amount of portland in the mix. It can be soft like styrofoam....strong enough (non compressible) to hold up your oven if it's on a solid base, but not a material used by itself for strength.

How big a piece do you need? Can you find a waste piece of countertop or a large sink cutout to do the job?
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Good to know! We only need to extend the space in front of the oven enough to suport the oven landing...... 6 to 8 more inches! I will check over at the habitat for humanity store for some old counter top or?.

Comment

Working...
            X