Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a Pompeii Oven - finally

Thanks indeed. You are absolutely right.

I fired it up again yesterday, but I went and bought an infrared thermometer before I fired it up again today. When I measured the heat it was 632 F. This tells me it is improving. I will keep firing it up every day until I get the temperature that I need.

Thanks again for your advice and feedback, it all counts.

Eddie

Comment

Today and after 2 weeks of curing the oven, building a fire every day, and sometimes twice a day, I baked a pizza in 2.5 minutes, and a roll of pesto bread, which took 3 minutes.
      Quite an improvement from one hour. And by the way they both tasted fantastic.
      I made a thick crust pizza, baked perfectly inside and out.

Now I know why I built a brick oven...

Thanks everyone for the help.

Eddie

Comment

Hello again everyone.

Although I have not posted for a while, I've been reading the posts and enjoying the Forno Bravo newsletter.

Well just a quick update I moved from my house where I built my first Pompeii oven. And now I am in another house, in another city, still in Florida though.
        I decided to build another Pompeii oven in the new house, cause once you have one you cannot stay without one. I learned a lot from building the first one, so I hope this one will be much better and more efficient. Last weekend I started on the frame. I would like to use the FB board and the blanket for my insulation, but the shipping from California to Florida is very high, the cost of the material is the same as shipping, so I guess I will go back to use vermiculite.
        I will start posting pictures soon.

Talk to you soon.

Eddie

Comment

can you not find a local refractory distributer that will most likely carry these things?

ZIRCAR Refractory Composites, Inc: HOME looks like they will stock what you want and is in Floriday (but could still be a long way etc). perhaps they are trade only not sure

Firebrick, Boilers, Incinerators, Atlantic Firebrick and Supply Co., Inc, Jacksonville, FL

also Florida based and look like they will have what you want, perhaps search for other Floriday builds and try to skim for suppliers used

the first attempt was pretty dam good, you have set the bar for the second quite high

Comment

Congratulations Eddie! I am sooo jealous you get to (have to ) build another oven. I don't ever plan on moving so I'm stuck (in a good way) with my one and only.

I know it's exciting to get to repeat the parts you liked (and improve them) and down right change the things you want done different.

Like turkey says above, check out the other local builds for material sources. At least you know, you could always bite the bullet and those materials are an email away from the FB store in case you cant find what you want. But hey, your an expert with the vermicrete now.

Like you said, I can't imagine not having a wfo again. Cheers, Dino
            "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
            http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thank you for the praise Turkey, but I already have ideas on how to improve the build - time will tell, also thank you for the links I will check them out, I could not find anything through the yellow pages, but I will expand my search locally.Dino; you are right, the most fun I had was building the oven, so here we go again. Is that a Chianti in your hand?

Cheers

Eddie

Comment

Forno Bravo blanket is cheaper than the local suppliers, I just have to pay shipping, which is fine. The oven I am building is 28 "X 28" floor, 16" volt height.my question is: the 50 sq ft blanket; is that enough for insulation?

thanks

Eddie

Comment

I guess the real question is how many of the 50 sq ft rolls do i need to cover the dome 3 layers.
                  mathematically; 1 roll is enough, but somebody out there might have a similar practical experience.
                  Thanks

Comment

Eddie,
                    I think most everyone get's away with 2 rolls just fine. I bought 3 to use left over for stuffing in my (future) oven door and needed it for stuffing between my copper vent flashing and SS vent. That gave me extra for the dome too. But most use 2 rolls just fine.
                    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

My Oven Thread

Comment

Well, today I poured the insulation above the hearth slab. I used vermiculite with a ratio of 6:1 portland cement, and the frame height was 4.5 inches instead of 4, this is because I noticed in my other oven, that the floor of the oven was losing heat quickly, so hopefully this will improve this time.
                      Next week I will start on the dome floor and the dome if time permits.
                      Salute

Comment

This weekend I am building a table from the left over wood to hold the new Harbor Freight brick saw. I already bought the firebricks, and I am planning to lay the cooking floor, once I assembled the saw and cut the bricks. I am going to use the paste from cutting the bricks to hold the cooking floor bricks.
                        I will post the pictures after I am done.

On another note I am thinking to build an igloo shaped oven, so if anybody knows of a similar experience, please direct me to their post.

Thanks

Salute

Comment

Originally posted by efleifel View Post
                          I am thinking to build an igloo shaped oven, so if anybody knows of a similar experience
                          When you say "Igloo" is that different to dome?
                          Last edited by Muscats; 10-22-2010, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Hi,

The Pompeii dome will have in igloo shape, and what I meant was, the exterior will also be shaped as an igloo. In the FornoBravo plans they have instructions as well, but I was hoping to reach out to someone who has already done it, and try to gain from his experience.
                            Salute
                            My Web site
                            I am not sure why my links to my web site are no longer in the post

Comment

It was removed because we're all freekin jealous of you for being 'forced' to build your 2nd oven

I would (will someday) do an igloo a second time around too. I like Erics build this year:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...ild-10986.html

I know there are lots of others. I'll keep checking. Good luck, Dino

My Oven Thread

Comment

Hey Dino,

No need to be jelous I'll just come over and we will both build another oven.
                                Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
                                Salute

Comment

Working...
                                X