• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new oven build

What if you double up on th floor with fire brick

Comment

Sumu,

That won't change what's underneath it all. The firebrick and insulating level serve two purposes. The firebrick is a thermal mass to store heat. A thicker floor just means a longer time to heat up. The insulation will keep it from being lost below, resulting in a cold floor. Stick with the recommended insulation of either vermiculite/concrete or an insulating board designed for refractory applications.
      Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
      My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
        No on both counts. The pink foam insulation board is not rated for hot environments, and will give off weird smells if it gets even a little bit hot.
        It's probably worth pointing out that those weird smells also tend to be fairly toxic.

Comment

i talked to a sales rep from a furnace place he said he had 1 inch mineral baord that i could double up on and it would be fine cost is 3.00 a square. 30.00 for 36" diameter. what do you think....

Comment

Sumu,

I would get a hold of the specs and compare them to some from the forum that are known to work well. If you can get the name of the board he is referring to, you might track down someone who has had experience with that board. Some of them insulate well, but get really mushy if they inadvertently get damp.
            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
            My oven build thread

Comment

Agree ^^^^ 2" of cal. sil. is the best option.

Comment

Working...
              X