Barrel/Arch type oven design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrel/Arch type oven design

I built an igloo style oven for my brother over the summer that is 4' round, it's an outside oven that works great. I just purchased a new house that has a center fireplace and chimney. The fireplace is in a niche and is not desireable and smokes because they bent the throat too much. The back of it backs up to the kitchen so I thought I would take it out and put a little brick oven in the kitchen instead. I am a mason by trade and decided to build an arch type oven. I am limited on width but not depth. Does anybody have any measurement considerations on a small oven? I have about 29" to work with. Thanks in advance.

Re: Barrel/Arch type oven design

I don't see any reason why you couldn't scale it down to fit that space...is the 29" in regard to width or depth?
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I'm sure you can do it, particularly with the masonry skills.

Is that an ID or OD you're talking about?

CJ has a barrel oven and builds, he might have some references. Just find CanuckJim on here and send him a private message as I haven't seen a lot of him lately.

Post some pictures and start a post here to keep us informed...we'd love to follow your project!
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

JRM,

Your width limitation is very tight in light of the fact that you'll have to factor in the thickness of any mass you want to add over the dome bricks and the thickness of your insulation. The mantra here is that you can never have too much insulation. In your case, it looks like you'll have to go as high tech as you can so you'll end up with maximum floor width inside the oven. Why not contact me via email about this. We can trade some tips.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

My width is 30" and my depth is 42".

Comment

The reason I only had 30" is because I was going to put a 36" range next to it. If I put the range somewhere else I have 66" width x 42" depth.

Comment

Okay, take your wall and insulation thickness away....8 inches of brick plus insulation? 4 to 8 inches blanket (most efficient insulation?) I think this get's your inside oven to be too small at 20 to 24 inches right??

I'd redesign and put the range elsewhere....it's nice to have a larger oven....after all the work and it's time to play!

Talk to CJ...he's both built and used the barrel ovens.
              Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Is the range existing? Or will it be a new purchase? If new, are you willing to scale back to a 30" range to gain valuable inches? Just a thought.

RT

Comment

Hi jrm78 and welcome aboard.
                  Can you post some pics or draw a plan of your working area.
                  There might be some other options that may be overlooked with regards to an oven, type/size and location.
                  There are many very experienced viewpoints at your disposal and you need to decide which if any are suited to your needs.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, sorry it took so long to get back, in the process of moving, never again. I have decided to move the range and just use the spot for a 36" brick oven. I will send pictures as soon as I start. I removed the existing throat from the old fireplace and am getting ready to pour the new base.

Comment

Working...
                    X