help to choose size of an oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: help to choose size of an oven

If anyone has any suggestion? Low or high opening which would be best for pizza

Comment

If anyone has any suggestion? Low or high opening which would be best for pizza
      Your entry should be in proportion to the height of the dome: Roughly two thirds of the dome height. High domes have high entries, low for low. Your question is really about the height of the dome: Some purists demand a low dome for pizza, but really, the half-sphere shape works just fine.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

:Happy Valentines Everyone,

I have a question about the size of an oven. I am going with a 39 inch oven with a high vault. For the interior height would I use the 42 inch measurements for the 39 inch oven? The measurements are interior height 21inches, opening width is 20 inches and opening height is 12.5 inches for the arch. Would that be correct? Also using the oven for making pizza would this be the right size.

Comment

here are some pictures of the tempelate over the oven

Comment

I have a 1 meter oven and I would not want anything smaller - mainly becasue having room for a good fire and flames pretty much takes up half of the oven and leaves you with the other half for cooking. It is amazing how little room that leaves for maneuvering the pizza around...

Good Luck!
            Jay

Comment

High vault ovens are roughly hemispherical, so a 39 inch oven would be 19.5 high.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I just want to get it right. I guess I have to cut the dome down from 21 inches to 19.5 inches. If the dome height is different would the door opening be different too. Right now the size of the door opening is 20 inches wide and 12.5 high. I would think the height has to be changed. Does anyone know?

Comment

The ideal height of the door should be somewhere between 63 and 65% of the dome height. 65% of 19.5 = 12.6 inches. Your numbers look good to me.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Made a mistake on the width size of the oven opening. On the plan it says 26inches wide for the corner angle slab for a 39 inch oven. These are the new measurements I have for the Igloo template. Dome height 19.5 inches, oven opening 26 inches wide and height of opening 12.5 inches. Should these be the correct measurements?

Comment

I'm not sure on the width. Check the plans. I think I used 20 inches wide on my 37 inch oven.
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have not been on in awhile. I finally decided on what size oven. I am building a 39 inch oven. It is coming out great. It is a low budget project. I am using leftover materials from other jobs I did. I have some pavers that I am using for the floor base. I also have 4 by 12 blocks that I am using to build the base out of. I am covering the whole thing with culture stone, which I already had. The only materials I had to buy was the mortar, fire clay, sand, 200 fire brick at $ .93 a piece, 8 by 8 clay chimney, vermiculite (not sure spelling is right) and the high temperature insullation. I got a good price on the high temperature insullation, 1 inch thick, for $54 for 50 square feet. The total cost so far is $500. The oven is an igloo style, I will try to post some pictures.

Comment

some pictures

Comment

need nelp on posting pictures it comes up upload Errors

Comment

need nelp on posting pictures it comes up upload Errors
                                Your pictures are probably too big. Any picture editior, like the good, free irfanview, will let you shrink your pictures to internet size.

Comment

Working...
                                X