Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation - Scotland build - require advice please

Hi there,

I have been spending the last couple of nights looking through this forum and would like to say thanks to all the people who have shared their valuable information.
    I am at the very start of my project in building my first 36" pompeii oven and have a couple of questions in getting started with the foundations.
    I have cleared a site in the back garden and broke up 71" x 80" inch area to start the foundation.
    i have contacted a local building suppliers and they are surprised at my request for 1/2" rebar stating that would be over excessive and costly to have it cut for the foundation. They have asked what weight it would be supporting and advised that the wire mesh concrete and pea gravel should do the job??
    I know that you guys are the experts so thought i would pose the question to you.
    I plan to proceed as follows. Please advise or add or change anything that should be included:
    1 - dig out 5 1/2" of 71" by 80" foundation template.
    2 - secure form boards showing 2 1/2 inches above ground level.
    3 - fill with 3" base of crushed rock with 6mm plastic sheeting ontop.
    4 - wire mesh inside foundation frame (with or without rebar????)half way up on brick.
    5 - Mix and pour concrete and level.

Do need to further insulate the foundation in anyway for dampness?

Sorry for being so dumb but i really want this to work for my wife and kids as they have their heart set on cooking outside whenever we get a sunny day in Glasgow, Scotland.

Thanks in advance guys. hope that i get a reply.

Iain

Re: Foundation - Scotland build - require advice please

Iain-

I live in a desert in California, so I have no idea what should be done to your foundation for dampness. But I do have a couple of comments. Is your foundation going to be 5-1/2 inches thick poured on top of 3" of crushed rock, or is your foundation going to be only 2-1/2 thick, on top of 3 inches of rock? Wire mesh will likely do the trick, but it might be good to run rebar when your pour the hearth slab. I'm one of those that tends to overdo everything when it comes to stricture. I'd say dig a footing around your foundation and run vertical rebar for extra support. Might not be necessary, but you only need to do this once if you do it right. Maybe some of the folks on here that live in a wet climate can give you some pointers.
    Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

See ALL of my pictures here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Brevenc/...OutdoorKitchen

Comment

Hi Breven,

Thanks for your post.Great ideas mate. Yes, i was going to make the foundation 5-1/2 inches thick poured on top of 3" of crushed rock. (If i thought i could get away with 3" and 2-1/2 in concrete i would - not reccomended i guess?)
      Will let you know how i get on. Keep in touch..... still cant believe the communication span - Glasgow, Scotland to California!!! Fantastic.

Please anyone else feel free to input.

Cheers,

Iain

Comment

I took some pretty good pictures on my foundation, check out the picassa link below. There's a bunch on how I did my foundation (and the hearth slab too). I have almost ZERO experience with any type of construction- but with all the advice here on FB, I managed to get it done without many problems. You can too! Good luck.
        Check out my oven progress here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/phot...dex.php?u=4147

Comment

Brevan,

Just had a look at your pictures mate. They are awesome. I take it you are a buider by trade???
          Cant get those hollow blocks in Scotland. I think i just need to go with standard full ones.

Totaly impressed.
          Back Gardens are definately different back in Glasgow!

Cheers, Iain

Comment

No way Iain, I'm a white collar guy with a desk job! I'm pretty handy around the house, but this was my first time with brick and block, electircal, water lines etc. I spent a lot of time at the Home Depot reading how to books. GOt a ton of info here on FB...looked at hundreds and hundreds of pictures. Somehow I managed to get through it. I know there's people on FB from Scotland...if you need help or advice on finding material I bet you'll find some countrymen that can offer advice. Don't forget to post a ton of pics...it'll be interesting to see how your build moves along.

Comment

Ian.

I think your foundation slab plan is sound. I would question your building suppliers about the cost of rebar - usually this is very inexpensive.

Since you are relying on the slab for the foundation, I would recommend including the rebar.

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the advice. I know that to all you guys and girls this is very basic stuff but a really appreciate your input. This forum is great. I just hope that you all dont get tierd of me asking questions.Who knows ,maybe next year i will be the one handing out the advice after completing my first perfect oven!!! lol. On the basis of your comments i am going to shop around a bit more and try and pick up rebar more cheaply.
                I will keep you posted.

Best,

Iain

Comment

Breven,

My wife just looked at the pictures of your build and wants to know if you want a working holiday in Scotland and when you are coming over.

Top class mate.

Best,

Iain

Comment

Iain,

I live in a wet climate too, but have yet to endure a winter with my pedestal. I used 1-1/2" of crushed gravel and 4" of concrete. I used both rebar and mesh, but must say that 1/2" rebar sounds massive! I used 3/8" diameter rebar. I agree with what's beens said...It really is "cheap" insurance to be sure that the foundation for your project is undoubtedly stout. You won't be able to go back and fix it. When in doubt, over-do it!

Looking forward to enjoying your progress.

Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken.

I will keep you posted. Habve decided to air on the side of caution and add the rebar.

Cheers,

Iain

Comment

Iain,

For my own slab I used a combination of 1/2 inch rebar and some old heavy gauge wire mesh shelves I had laying around (I save everything for reuse!) Purists might only use rebar but I think anything that helps stiffen/strengthen the slab. If you have the time I would run by some scrap yards and see what catches your eye.

Comment

Iain,
                          Remember that all of the weight of your walls, hearth and oven rest on the edges of your foundation slab. That is a lot of weight! Use the 1/2" if you can, its there to help distribute/support that weight evenly throughout the slab. You don't want that sucker breaking up after all is put together.
                          Looking forward to seeing your build. I have relatives in Inverness that are "thinking of building" but.......seeing is believing I guess.
                          Anyway, have at it, and have fun...that's what its all about.

Ian

Comment

Hi Iain,

Have you managed to find hollow blocks in Scotland? Struggling to find a supplier.
                            Think I may have to go for 16 x 8 x 4 solid blocks and put them on their sides?

Comment

I heard a nasty rumor that Scots put corn on their pizzas ?

Can this be true ?

Comment

Working...
                              X