Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under Oven Insulation

James,

Just to be clear. If I use the new insulation board do I not need the insualtion layer on top of the concrete hearth?

Thanks,

Ryan

Comment

Exactly!

You attach the SuperIsol directly to the concrete layer, and you do not need the vermiculite layer. They serve the same purpose, so you don't need the vermiculite layer. That would be overkill, and you don't need to go to the expense of hassle.

We sell a high temp caulk to ahere the panels, which I will put into the Forno Bravo Store latery today. It isn't expensive, so you don't have to waste time looking for a safe product to use.

Cool stuff.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Looking for an update on the Super ISO board

Has anyone got an update on the ISO board?

How is it working? Any lessons learned?

I plan on using this product.

Was not sure from the previous posts how hard the material is - Can you poke a hole in it with your finger? I bet not, but was concerned.

Thanks

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

CalSil thickness ?

Hello James,

on the order sheet I just received from my supplier in Melbourne, Australia, there are two sheets of calcium silicate board listed for under the cooking tiles (2 in) of the 1000 mm (ID) dome - but these are only 25 mm thick (1 in)! Is that sufficient, or will I still need to pour a vermiculite/ciment fondu insulation layer under the hearth?

Thanks again for your help!

Rgds,
          Carioca
          "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Cal sil.

My calclium silicate insulation board is one and a half inches. The dude who donated it to us said it was rated to twelve hundred degrees. We'll see, but I'm pretty confident it will insulate sufficiently.

Comment

thanks, mate!

Hello Redbricknick, thanks for the update - pls keep me posted opn your experience (it will be a while before I get to that point in the construction...)

My two 1in sheets cost me $A84, BTW! But I may be able to prise off a thin sheet of similar looking material from under the oven cavity of an expensive old electric oven that I'be now junked after 13 years of mostly repairs :-)

Cheers,

Carioca
              "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Yeah mate, i'll definitely let you know how she goes. We were lucky enough to meet someone at an insulation company here who donated a heap of board and glue to us for free. We're making a documentary, so sticking a camera in someone's face doesn't hurt. Are there any junkyards nearby you could hunt through to find similar ovens with similar insulation in? Maybe one inch thickness is enough. I'm certainly counting on it.

Comment

Working...
                X