X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redbricknick
    replied
    Caveman not understand.

Has anyone tried this yet in a practical pizza oven? Where is it made? What is it made of? How long will it last in weather? Do I need to seal it against moisture? Where can I get it for free?

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Shipping won't be bad

You only need 2-3 sheets, depending on your oven size, and it's light, so shipping around the country won't be a killer. Not bad at all.

The compression strength is good, so your oven won't squash it. I will look it up and post it.
    James

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied
    Wow

1. So do we add this to the instructions?? Alf early on told me that, if I get his right, will dispense with the reinforced concrete and opt for a welded frame and mild steel tray and then cast the insulting layer on top of this. Now with this we can dispense with both the casting of the reinforced hearth and the vermiculte/cement.

2. Is it still cheaper to do this when you throw in shipping costs say to Ohio?

Leave a comment:

• Fio
    replied
    Paydirt!

This is great. It's a lot like the fiberfrax board I am using under my floor bricks, and it's cheaper too. How much psi can it tolerate before squashing? With the weight of the oven directly on top of it, can it take the pressure without compression?

This makes perlcrete a thing of the past. Bravo indeed!

- Fio

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Exactly

Hey Les,

That's right. You attach it to the concrete hearth with refractory caulk (which we are stocking), and you are done. You can assemble either a Forno Bravo oven, or a Pompeii Oven on top of it.

James

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied
    James,

This product would be able to sit on top of the foundation with no other insulation involved? If the above assumption is correct, this would work for either a brick floor or one of your kits?

TIA,

Les...

Leave a comment:

• james
    started a topic New Under Oven Insulation Board

New Under Oven Insulation Board

I have uncovered a whizzy new insulation product for under the Pizza Oven floor. It's an engineered Calcium Silicate insulating board made for industrial applications, such as aluminum melting and holding furnaces. It's about twice as efficient as pure vermiculite board, and more than twice as efficient as castable vermiculite and portland mixed together (which closes an indeterminate number of air holes in the vermilcute and reduces its efficiency).

It comes in 24"x36"x2" sheets, and a single 2" layer takes an 800F face down to about 160F at equilibrium. Cool. It's easy to cut and clue, making it fast and easy to install. It doesn't even cost that much more than the cost of the vermiculite, and if you calculate in labor costs, it saves a lot of money. With way less hassle. I have a sample sitting on my desk, and it's great stuff.

We've already added it to the Forno Bravo Store.

http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=248&page=1

Looking at the installation guide from our precast Forno Bravo oven producer, they recommend vermiculite insulating blocks (which you can buy at the building supply story) in their instructions. This is basically a high-tech version of that.

Let me know if anyone has any questions or comments.
    James
Working...
X