Has this been done before??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep...

You got it Maver. Here's an earlier pic showing the foundation blocks. My neighbor, Virgil, who is the volunteer project ramrod, is giving the thumbs up.
    It'll be about countertop height. I'm trying to figure out what type of top is durable enough to withstand the cold weather.

Comment

Have you seen Janprimus' concrete counter (look at his Bellingham oven thread)? It's a nice DIY material. I need to post pics of mine, there are several ways to do it and you can achieve quite a few different looks.

Comment

Almost there...

Ok... I got a roof and a pipe. I still need to get the roof caps on ( 15 degrees ) and the counter top and door. One picture shows the first fire burning off the soot.

Comment

Excellent

That looks great. Are you happy? How does it look to you?

Keep us up to date on how she cooks and what you are making. Great work with the bricks -- I really like it.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Today, I'm gonna try to get the fire really going. For some reason, smoke seems to be coming out of the mouth. The chimney is really hot and seems to be doing its job. Going to check on it now. Thanks, James.

Comment

How many fires have you had? You might want to consider going through a curing process, as the oven has probably absorbed a lot of moisture through the move and installation process.

When it is really dry, you will see less smoke out the front of oven -- and more up the chimney.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Huge Learning Curve!

This is somewhat of an art. It takes awhile to get the hang of it.
                Late last night, about 70 percent of the nasty soot was burned off. I bought it this way and it was pretty thick. You are right, James. It must be still drying out. Each pizza came out faster and faster as the night progressed.
                Since it was a trial bake, I didn't use the Caputo, good mozzarella or my 6-1 sauce. Instead, I used frozen Tiseo pizza dough, bagged mozz and just threw the sauce together. The picture shows a garlic white pizza. (BTW, Louis Tiseo is a good guy and makes a wonderful consistent product.)
                The oven did a nice job despite the frigid temperature and WIND.
                The wood chunks need to be split again. It seems these big hunks don't have enough surface area exposed to the heat. This retards the heating time required to burn quickly. So, for the first minute or so, unburned hydrocarbons smoke up the interior.
                I was advised to leave the cracks in the floor alone by the M.A.M. guy in CA. However the cracks are right in the sweet spot -center of the oven. I'll tough it out until spring and look into finding something to fill it with. I can't imagine what kind of abuse the former owner inflicted on this nice oven.

Comment

cracklin

The interior of that oven really does look nice. It's a shame there was a coat of soot on the inside when you received it, it sounds like it was somewhat abused with low temperature use. I think the fact that pizza were cooking better as your bake went on may suggest that this commercial oven may need a longer preheat than your average home oven - although James is right, you'll see those preheat times drop if there is any moisture to drive out of the oven. I think by the looks of the crack, you should just leave it alone. It will fill with ash and should not interfere with cooking. If you try to fill it with anything that hardens you have potential to put an obstacle to your peel on the oven floor. The only reason to mess with it I can imagine is if the two sides do not match up, in which case you could consider grinding it level, but only after you have used it for a few months and are sure it is not going to shift on you.

Comment

Hot? ...oh yeah.

Some 15 hours after baking the last pizza, my brother came over with a steel steak grill he welded together. He stuck it in the oven and we had a few beers. A little later he tried to remove the grill. Yeow! It's hot!
                    It's getting there.
                    How's the wall look, Maver?

Comment

I think Maver has it right on the floor. If it is catching your peel, you can grind it, but otherwise, see if you can leave it as is and let the crack fill with ash, that you brush away before cooking.

Now, it will just get better and better. Especially with better ingredients!
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

wall

Originally posted by PizzaPolice View Post
                        How's the wall look, Maver?
                        I think the Clinker brick with the roof you used looks great. I'm envious of how quickly you have finished your brick work. We're having unusually cold weather this past 3-4 weeks in the northwest so I have put brickwork on hold, although the oven is still being used

It looks like you're seeing some cold yourself.

Do you have your countertop material ready to install?

Comment

New door

It's a crisp 20 degrees right now so the counter top can wait. I can't believe the oven is still warm (Tuesday night)
                          My buddy fabbed out a stainless door for the cause. So far, there are 6 people who get "free pizza for life".
                          Saturday is the test with Caputo and the good ingredients. I don't want to see those rolling eyes again. Ha Ha.
                          Stay warm and BTW, at least you are in zone 8. It's tough getting the good stuff to grow around here.

PizzaPolice

Comment

Re: Has this been done before??

Hey guys, nice thread. I just bought, what I think is a MAM 505 from Emiliomiti in San Fran. I am opening a little BBQ and Pizza shack next to our motorcycle/ATV shop. Trying to up the fun factor and drive some customers into the store. The economy has hit us pretty hard, advertising is useless, and Who doesn't love BBQ, Pizza and beer?
                            I built my own "white" oven about a decade ago in my back yard. It is quite nice but small compared to this. I don't have it yet. I have only seen pictures. It is supposedly a "factory overstock" which means he is having inventory problems too. I bought it on ebay for $2900. My backyard oven cost me $600 just in bricks a decade ago, so this seems like a really good deal. I am also looking forward to the genuine article, especially the Italian kind. I understand they are from Modena, that is Ferrari country....Ciao baby. Oooo we also sell Vespas and Aprilias......

Comment

Nice find Fourlix. I saw that one on eBay and thought pretty much what you thought. Of course we sell a competitor -- also made in Modena. No love lost there. :-) I've seen that oven taken apart piece by piece a couple of times -- it's changed over the years.

Good luck with the set up and let us know how it goes.
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, I remain in awe of your benevolence.
                                Alternative ovens - Competitors - Idiots (eg me).
                                Despite all of that, you seem to maintain the path you have set.
                                Mate, in this age of rampant greed, you shine like a beacon.

For the record, I'd like to add that I've read your history precis, acquired your free e-books, and contributed not one cent to your Retirement Benefit Fund.

All I've managed to promote is a love of wood cooking to the odd Derro that passes this way. While pizzas are obvious winners, the smiles that follow a tasting of slow-cooked beast or fowl is to be cherished, much thanks to you, you mongrel.
                                May good health be your companion, James-of-the- Oven.
                                Thanks eh.
                                Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Working...
                                X