Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stucco-ing

Hello,

Acrylic modifier is expensive. I suggest using the one coat product then two coats of acrylic paint. HD and Lowe's both sell "Stucco paint" at roughly $16 per gallon.

Cheers,
    Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

I don't want to use paint over the stucco, I would like to see the texture of the stucco, and let it age naturally like it would in Italy. If I was worried about the cost of this oven I would of stopped a long time ago. I was just wondering if that is what people did to make their stucco waterproof.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        "You can get stucco at your local big-box hardware stores. Alternatively - Type S Mortar (also called Type S Mortar / Stucco) can be used - at least for the scratch and brown coats.

Stucco is just sand/cement/lime, in different proportions depending on what type of finish you're looking for."

This is true, but does not really help. "Type S" is a strength designation, and is used for mortar, not stucco. There is no "type" designation for stucco. The desired properties of mortar and stucco are not the same, any more than the properties for concrete and mortar are the same. They are almost opposite in fact.
        Sorry - but here it is. Here in California - everything is stuccoed - and Type S mortar is commonly used as a scratch / brown coat.

Comment

Yeah, I sell a couple T/Ls of that exact material a month. That still does not make it the best material for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            That still does not make it the best material for the job.
            Fair enough.

Comment

I think I am going to paint my stucco. I have been told by a few builders that stucco isn't the best material to use in the area anyway, so I am sure I will benifit from a coat of paint as a moisture barrier.

That being said, should I cure my oven before I paint? I am guessing so, but if not, how long do I let the stucco cure before I paint it?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

However....If you add 2 cups of Type S lime to each bag, then you DO have a superb stucco material. That is, in fact, what I used to stucco my house.

Comment

28 days and it needs to be dry. Just remember that painted once means repainting forever. Better to use integral color and be done with it forever.

Comment

Thanks Tscarborough! You are really helping my think this through.

Comment

As the outside of the oven tends to get dirty with bits of soot falling on it etc. I believe it is easier to repaint the thing every year. It is not that big that it is an arduous task. Mixing colour into the stucco/render has some problems in that you won't get good intensity of colour because the greyness of the cement interferes with the resulting colour and is very hard to rematch. With paint over the top, you just pull out the same tin or change it if you're sick of the original colour. Don't paint the outside until you have done about 10 decent cooking fires to ensure that there is no moisture still trapped inside.
                      Last edited by david s; 07-19-2011, 02:40 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                      X