• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shaping vermiculite concrete dome

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
    Here is the screed I used for shaping the vermicrete layer (12:1 mix):
    Neil2,
    That's it!! I've been wondering where I got the idea for my template . I scoured builds for a couple of years before taking the plunge. I know that I read yours start to finish, as I did many others, only making mental notes.
    Thanks Neil.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here's the rank beginner's question ... the install instructions on my modular kit say to wrap the insulation banket, cover in wire and then the finish coat ... NOTHING about a layer of vermiculite concrete???

Comment

You don't have to do a vermicrete layer over the blanket, but it evens out all the lumps and bumps where the blanket overlaps and folds. Your outer rendered shell would otherwise be overly thick to get back to a nice hemispherical form. Your common sense tells you the mix is too crumbly and it won't set, but wait 24 hrs and it will. Not really strong, but good enough to render up against. Adding more cement just reduces the insulation value.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

THANK YOU David ...makes perfect sense. I am determined to get this right, thinking theres not going to be much of a 'do-over' space

Comment

Thank for the heads up David! This step was confusing me and I haven't even received my Casa yet.....

Comment

Definitely eyeball it. You will be able to see any gross imperfections and correct them. The minor imperfections will add to the character of your hand built brick oven. Think of them as your artistic signature

Doug O

Comment

I applied mine the same way that David did his, using rubber gloves and had fun playing in the mud.

Comment

Working...
                X