• benny8
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build-New Pics

Some pics of the finished project-2 yrs later. Sorry

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build-Update

Well, this will be my third summer with the Homebrew castable refractory oven. We have cooked over 200 pizzas in it over the last 2 years. Few hairline cracks, but she is still running strong. Last Memorial Day we hosted our 1st annual Pizza Cookoff. We cooked 64 pizzas in 3.5 hours. It was a blast. This weekend we will be hosting the 2nd Annual Pizza Cookoff with 3 divisions: Traditional, Specialty and Dessert. Thinking about building one to start a mobile wood fired pizza business.

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied
    Re: NH Oven Build

Your making great progress,you and your daughter should be proud

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Wednesday night I was in a panic. I was getting ready to cast the last big piece(oven opening), and I decided I should see if the other pieces would release from the form. I had used vegetable oil for a release agent, and the pieces did not want to release. After about an hour and some cursing, I finally was able to get them to release. Apparently, the form I made was of plaster. I sanded it down and painted a coat or two of Kilz primer on it. The cement acted like a suction on the primer. When it finally released it took the primer off with it. Luckily it peels off the inside of the oven like a skin. Anyway, today I took the day off from work to get some other projects finished around the house. When that was done, I cast the last pieces of the oven. I also picked up my stainless steel pieces for my flue and chimney. Good busy day today.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Thanks David. It has been a learning curve, thats for sure. But it has also been fun. Hopefully it holds up well, but if it doesn't I am not out a lot of money.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Good job. The polypropylene fibres give your refractory a measure of protection from blowing (rapid steam expansion), but they don't provide any additional reinforcing. I didn't use them in my first oven and it still fires ok. Interested to see how your dome performs over time.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Two questions,
    How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?
    Dome was about 2" thick and I used polypropylene fibers in the mix.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Two questions,
    How thick did you make the dome and did you use stainless steel needle reinforcing?

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

We got to work on the oven this weekend. After the forms were set, I mixed my first ever batch of homebrew refractory. Used the 3:1:1:1 recipe. I applied it to the mold and found I needed to support it to keep it from slumping. I mixed it really dry with not too much water, but it needed some support til it set up. That was Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning I got up and mixed up another batch, and applied it to another 1/4 of the dome. By the afternoon, it had set up enough for me to get another batch for the back 1/4 of the dome. I mixed some polypropylene fibers with all my batches. I am pretty happy with the progress so far.
    Last edited by benny8; 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM. Reason: added pics

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Originally posted by Greenparka69 View Post
    Hi Benny,

It looks great do you have any photos of the next stage actually putting the refractory cement on top did you use wood templates for the sections?

many thanks rick
    Rick-I have yet to put refractory cement on the mold. The picture is of the inside mold with plaster. I still need to smooth it out, then build a form to "quarter" the mold off. That won't happen for a couple weekends due to prior obligations. I will post up my progress as it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Greenparka69
    replied

Hi Benny,

It looks great do you have any photos of the next stage actually putting the refractory cement on top did you use wood templates for the sections?

many thanks rick

Leave a comment:

• derone
    replied

Starting look good. i am really impressed by finding that you are inspired by the this forums. by seeing its clear that you have a good hand of working. Nice work hope so you will finish it in good way.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

More pics from the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

The kid and I have been working on the outdoor kitchen project mostly on the weekends. This weekend we got the blocks laid and cores filled for the smoker to the left of the oven and the countertop over wood storage area to the right of the oven. Then Sunday we got the structural hearth poured. Fun busy weekend for me and my daughter.

Leave a comment:

• benny8
    replied

Last night my wife and I finished putting plaster on the mold. It needs to be sanded an a skim coat applied to take care of any imperfections. Today my daughter and I built our block stand and filled the cavities with cement. We then went back to Home Cheapo and picked up the rest of our blocks for the counters and smoker. Had an awesome weekend working with my daughter. She really surprised me how she got right in there and mixed the cement and moved the blocks. It has really been a family affair.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X