Filling joints in hearth slab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Filling joints in hearth slab?

You have done a great job fitting the pieces. Now feel free to put the mortar supplied over the seams.

Remember the bottom-slip joint for no mortar!

Looks like you are good to go! Congratulations--looking like a nice build!

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      You probably don't want to pull the whole thing apart, but I think your problem of the dome castings not mating correctly is probably that the floor sections are not flat. Getting them flat may also be close to impossible. Also because the dome castings do not interlock with ones other their fitment is made that much harder again.do not fill the gaps on the inside anywhere near the top. You don't want bits of mortar falling on your food.
      Thanks David, the poor base could definitely be a contributing factor to the bad fit but the complete unit is very badly fitting. These are the only supplier of oven kits in Ireland to the best of my knowledge and most people that buy them are slapping them together and mortaring them up as per the suppliers instructions.
      The upper joints on my castings are quite tight so I hope not to end up with
      mortar in my pizza
      A firebrick floor would probably be much better.

Comment

I ended up grinding some of the hearth joints also to improve the fit.
        @Mikku the baking paper worked very well. I was able to fill gaps between the dome and hearth sections with baking paper in place and it prevented them from bonding!
        Thanks for the tip

Comment

The tip is what you call a "WAG", wild-ass-guess.
          Was visualizing the situation and thought of something that is available almost everywhere in the world. So wa-lah!

Maybe you should think about casting and selling dome pieces as competition to these poor quality pieces. You have more than enough knowledge to produce something superior in every way to the stuff you got! On top of that, now you have scribed something that was terrible into something that is totally acceptable as a dome. You can now give great advice on what you personally learned--hands on beats "book learnin" anyday. But sometimes there is nobody around to guide your hands--so you have to rely on print!

Biggest thing is trust yourself and your abilities--A "Can Do" attitude is almost unbeatable! Looking good--

Soon you have to be gone--so get what you can get done and call it DONE. Put what you have to sleep--cover it up and don't think about it until you have spare time to dedicate to the project.

Comment

My mason used fire clay between my joints on the inside of my Casa 2G 90. I'm very worried about cracking now. Do they need to redo it? They are working on it right now.

Comment

Hey guys, I will be pouring my suspended slab in a week and I also have a modular oven so found this thread somewhat relevant.
              I will need to assemble my modular oven soon but I have some questions:

My modular oven comes in 4 pieces for the dome, cut into quarters. The oven is 2nd hand that has been disassembled so has seen significant use.
              The four dome pieces appear to be well cast and have groves to lock into each other.
              The previous owners do not appear to have used any cement/mortar on the joins.
              I am guessing that using mortar on the joins is not necessary? My only concern is with the dome pieces holding together - given they are in quarters. Though obviously once the insulation and stucco are done that will stop it collapsing.
              My other question is that given my oven is 2nd hand, does that mean I do not need to cure it?
              I will be laying the modular hearth pieces directly onto my ceramic fibreboard insulation, then assembling the dome pieces and then using insulating blanket to cover the dome before sealing it with stucco and then spraying it with a waterproof membrane after the stucco has completely dried (it's outdoors).
              Does this all sound OK?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X