Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulating Forno Bravo Door

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    5 minutes away. I live off the 80 and N. McCarren coming into town (NW reno). If you want to pick up the piece when visiting you are more than welcome to.

Acoma,

No plans to come up anytime soon unfortunately. Let me know the cost and I will pay for the shipping if you can part with some of your material. Thanks for the generous offer.

Comment

I wouldn't have any ceramic fibre anywhere near food I was intending to consume. It's a class 2 (whatever that is ) carcinogenic. Stick to vermicrete or a castable insulating mix.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

can you describe or tell me what material soapstone is, I like the look of it. I would like to try and source something close to it in Australia.

phill

Comment

Soapstone is a soft, naturally quarried stone with good fire resistance and heat holding characteristics. It's used in woodstoves, and I've seen it used on the floors of WFO's
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

OK, thanks, it sounds like refractory bricks, we can get those here in all shapes and sizes, thats a great idea. I've used it on my oven dome and wall, really easy to shape. Thanks again

ohill

Comment

Gang,

A friend of mine can weld me a door to my specs...

I was going to have him "incapsulate" a piece of leftover Iso board into the board.

I'm assuming if the Isoboard is "sealed" in a metal cavity then it should be fine.

Any issues?

Thanks
              Dick

Comment

Just letting everyone know that the zinc in any galvanized metal will vaporize and give you headaches at best and kill you at worst.

I wouldn't want any galvanized metal near an oven, esp an oven that gets to 1000F.

Comment

Now that is good to know... and my unsuccessfull door goes tiright on the scrap heap!
                  "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

If anyone is interested the door I made a few months back has been in use for a while now and works very well. I have a few how it was made shots on my photo album link below...wayne
                    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Another name for soapstone is talc stone. It is in fact where talc powder comes from. Sand it and you'll make talc powder
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Wayne,
                        Your approach to the oven is very innovative and impressive. I really like the door, but i probably won't do anything that elaborate. i saw a few doors simply made of wood, but for the life of me, I do not know how that can withstand the high temps without burning up. So i guess i will find some middle ground.
                        Jim Bob

Comment

Is it cricket to revive this thread? I, too, would like to know what others have done to insulate the door that comes with the Casa ovens. There are some truly cool examples of original doors in this thread, but less discussion about modifications to the FB door. Is that because it's better to start over than to add insulation to it?

By way of background, we've had our oven (Toscano -- yeah, I know, we wimped out! -- built around a Casa 100) up and running for about a month and a half, but retaining heat for baking bread more than one round of bread has been a problem. (We did order it with extra insulation in the hearth and 1" extra refractory cement over the dome for more thermal mass.) After reading several threads, it sounds like we need to insulate the door.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                          X