Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Framing nearing completion, loose perlite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by miikee View Post
    ​​Thanks! ​​​​​david s Chach

So we got the walls up, perlite poured in, and the roof on. We plan to tape the enclosure tomorrow. Do you feel that I could start my curing fires tomorrow evening?
    Looks good. I like the design a lot. I agree what Mike said don't get to closed up yet until you finish your curing fires. Start your fire maybe pop a roof panel out while your doing so. I would also tarp the structure between fires or if rain is in sight as its not water tight yet and you don't want to go backwards.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied
    Don't seal your enclosure up too tight yet...remember that you are driving off moisture as you do the curing fires. That moisture needs to have an escape path...

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Yes you should be able to.

Leave a comment:

• miikee
    replied
    ​​Thanks! ​​​​​david s Chach

So we got the walls up, perlite poured in, and the roof on. We plan to tape the enclosure tomorrow. Do you feel that I could start my curing fires tomorrow evening?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by miikee; 08-24-2020, 08:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chach
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    There there is a great advantage in pouring it in dry because no added water requires removing and no binder like cement to reduce insulation capacity. It can be a bit of a waste of perlite where it ends up really thick at the corners. Some fibreglass insulation bats or empty capped plastic bottles there can save you some perlite. Be careful, the dust from the perlite is irritating to inhale, wear a dust mask or at least hold your breath.
    yes I agree just pour it in...don't miss otherwise it will look like it snowed. and make sure the duroc corners are solid no gaps anywhere or it will leak out and create a mess. I taped all my seams and corners with cement board seam tape and mortar.

Ricky

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    There there is a great advantage in pouring it in dry because no added water requires removing and no binder like cement to reduce insulation capacity. It can be a bit of a waste of perlite where it ends up really thick at the corners. Some fibreglass insulation bats or empty capped plastic bottles there can save you some perlite. Be careful, the dust from the perlite is irritating to inhale, wear a dust mask or at least hold your breath.

Leave a comment:

• miikee
    started a topic Framing nearing completion, loose perlite?

Framing nearing completion, loose perlite?

We are nearing the completion of the framing and we are getting ready to start putting up the half inch durock backer board.

I have 16 cubic feet of perlite, and was planning to pour this in after we got the walls up to fill in our the free space around the oven and attic. Is there something else I should be mixing with this, or can I just cut the bags and pour it in?

Working...
X