Query on types of insulation mixes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query on types of insulation mixes.

We will soon be building a wood oven and here in Australia like most places I guess there are a variety of insulations on the market such as "VERMICULITE" and "PERLITE" I was just told that there is another called "SHERLITE or SHERLIGHT" (Sorry I'm not exactly sure how they spell it)
    It is supposedly made especially for the construction of wood fire ovens and the likes as opposed to "VERMICULITE" and "PERLITE" which has many uses especially in agriculture.
    Apparently this "SHERLITE" works just as well as the other two mentioned and it's just a matter of mixing it with water until it reaches a toothpaste consistency. The bonus with "SHERLITE" I have been told is that it's so much easier to work with as opposed to "VERMICULITE or PERLITE"

My query is has anyone heard of this stuff called "SHERLITE" or better still has anyone used it? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Dean

Re: Query on types of insulation mixes.

I've never heard of it, but the refractory business in an intensely local one, and there are lots of proprietary products by different manufacturers. It sounds like an insulating refractory product: my one concern is the "toothpaste" consistency: Anything that insulates is going to have a fairly fluffy consistency.

In any event: Vermiculite concrete isn't difficult to work with. It's just a little weird to use the first time if you're not used to it. It's main advantage: It's affordable. Most refractory products are really expensive to buy. If your's is a cost-no-object project, I would recommend the refractory boards and blankets that are proven in this application.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Re: Query on types of insulation mixes.

dmun firstly thank you very much for your prompt reply to my post, its much appreciated. I'm very new to this although I have done endless hours of research on wood ovens and at times I feel more confused then ever. lol
      We are building this wood oven as a team, The old man and myself, basically using my brains and dad's hands/labor although dad's quite handy with his hands. I cannot help him physically because I am a quadriplegic so this team effort could end up being a disaster. lol Although it will be fun as I sit on my A** giving out orders to the old man how it should be done. No doubt I will have mortar thrown on me from time to time. lol
      The wood oven we are building is going to be built using fire bricks.
      We just purchased some fire bricks yesterday and I was shocked how heavy they are. Here in Australia they measure 3"x4.5"x9" and each fire brick weighs 4.5 Kilos or almost 10 pounds.

Regarding the "SHERLITE" which is a insulating refractory product comes in 20kilo bags or 44 pound bags and each bag is $20 AUD or $16 USD. I believe there isn't much of a price difference in price between the "VERMICULITE" and the "SHERLITE" here in Australia.

P.s. On a totally diffrent topic and it might be worth my while if I post this in the forum under another topic also. I thought I'd write it here just in case you have a opinion on this. We also have fire bricks for arches that cost the same as the standard rectangle fire brick above. These arch fire bricks come in two measurements approximately 3"/2.5"x4.5"x9" and the other one measures 3"/2"x4.5"x9" although for what it's worth because we use metric here in Australia I will write down the exact sizes of these two arch fire bricks and the standard fire brick in millimeters.
      230x115x75/63 and 230x115x75/51 The standard fire bricks here are 230x115x75.
      Dad just found out about the arch bricks and told me as I was writing this email.
      I wish I knew about the arch fire brick sizes earlier because I believe they could work well when building the dome as well because it should save cutting and might also fit better and save on extra mortar. We will need to work it out. Has anyone here used these arch bricks and what do you think will it help building the dome also?

Comment

Working...
      X