Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: qiardano oven on cart

Hey thezaman,

The small bag is an additive that makes the mortar easier to work with (more sticky and better adhesion while it dries). We have started pre-mixing the additive to keep it simple, but clearly your mortar was not mixed. Just thoroughly mix the two together while they are dry.

I have been thinking about the floor for your oven, and I am leaning toward your mortaring the floor in place because the oven will be moved. It really is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other (both methods are perfectly valid), but you have a little less change of the floor moving if you mortar it down.

You should have enough mortar to do the floor, the chimney and to seal the dome to the FB board at the bottom.

Let us know how it goes.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

great, i will be moving ,now i also noticed that the oven was set on the board before the floor was laid, is that the right sequence? i want my dome low, so a light layer of mortar over the insulation board will be o.k. as long as the floor is smooth?

Comment

First the board, second the floor and third the dome.

The mortar (or sand) layer will not raise the floor, it is just a thin layer that will allow you to set the floor smooth and level. The dome rests directly on the board (no mortar).

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

thanks, now if i overstuff the top of the oven and slightly compress the blanket will that hurt the heat retention of the blanket? this will be my last dumb question till final assembly. thanks,larry

Comment

Hey Larry,

A little compression on the blankets on top is fine. You are in good shape with your dome insulation, so use what you have and it will be good!
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

james, with the commercial oven kits the instruction mention a product called plastic cement mortar .is that available from forno bravo?

Comment

Hey zaman,

We are really happy with the standard FB Mortar, and are phasing out the other mortar (a wet pre-mix). All of Primavera and Toscana ovens are built using FB Mortar, and it's great stuff.

James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

progress on the portable oven .the cover has been made ,the cart has been reinforced. the next step is powder coating .then assembly.

Comment

That is so cool. I can't wait to see it in operation. What color is the powder coat going to be?
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

picking up all of my oven parts next week .i am a little nervous about the vent.would a 5 inch to 6 inch chimney adapter work in the giardano vent hole ?i would still cement it in and use the supplied vent pipe ,the difference is it would fit in the opening for a easier fit of the vent pipe after the cover is bolted down

Comment

received my cart and cover, i have three inches on all sides and four on the top enclosed are pics

Comment

If you can mortar the chimney to the vent without doing anything special -- as long as it pops out nicely above your metal enclosure, it should work fine.

I really like the red enclosure -- looking good!
                          James
                          Pizza Ovens
                          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

the cover is being redone the fabricator isn't happy with the finish. so ,i have to wait till tuesday to insulate. i have three inches on each side 4 inches on top. how would you apply the insulation i am planing on attaching loops and securing the insulation with wire,then dropping on the cover.

Comment

It sounds like the cover it tight enough to hold the insulation in place without any mesh or wire. I don't think it will have anywhere to go.
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Very cool looking oven zaman,,,

Comment

Working...
                                X