Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clay Oven on Verandah

Oooh! Nice! Congrats on the pizza!

I read a website of a builder who does cob houses professionally and he was adamant that using concrete was an extremely bad idea. It doesn't allow evaporation fast enough and can cause water damage and eventual failure. I don't know if bondcrete overcomes that limitation or not but I wouldn't experiment with anything I cared that much about.

When I (finally) buy a place I plan on doing my doghouses in cob - I might try that with a doghouse as an experiment since it wouldn't bother me to have to rebuild it.

I can get you that link this afternoon if you like. I'm about to run the dog to the vet (this should be the end of 8 weeks of doggie bed rest during heart worm treatment - yay!) right now.

Oh, I did have a quick question, BP - did you use joist hangers in your base?

Later!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

A cob dog house? Wow!

We found the adobe house we lived in to be "difficult" in the climate here, which is basically subtropical. The house was on the outskirts of the city, where it also gets frosts and cold nights (as in down near freezing, but not below freezing) in the winter. It was a huge (I mean it - huge) adobe house (12,000 bricks each weighing 15kg) and when it cooled down it took three days to heat back up running the fireplace at night. And when it got hot it was hot all night - like a hot summer day radiating out of the walls all night.

We installed a passive cooling system that vented out through the ceiling with venturi things on the roof - that improved things. However possums started falling through the vents. At 3AM it's not much fun to have a live possum drop 8 feet onto your bedroom floor; they are quite difficult to get out of the house. The happened about 5 times in various rooms before I had to start putting screws through the vents into the ceiling.

Oh, I did have a quick question, BP - did you use joist hangers in your base?
      I didn't use joist hangers - I ran long screws through the timber (the kind of screws I've seen them use here on outdoor stairs etc.) and a large galv coach bolt on each leg as well. Would have made the base smaller if I knew I was locating on deck - should have reduced its size when I moved it up there.
      My Clay Oven build:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...dah-12821.html

Comment

Falling... possums...

Um, yeah... EEK!

Thanks for the info on the joists.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Oven Essentially Finished

Well, I'm basically finished - only thing outstanding is a bead of silicone where the enclosure walls meet the tiling on the base. A bit of a scary job actually, since there's no room to work around the edge of the deck.

I painted the chimney with the same coating as used on the enclosure - it's got a really nice texture to it and doesn't look likes it's made from galvanized iron any more.

The roof is almost flat, with a slight slope towards the back. I tiled the roof with large (18") off-white tiles that were free leftovers.

Really happy with this oven, given the relative low cost, light weight, and speed of build.

Cheers,
          Mick
          Last edited by BackyardPermaculture; 06-22-2010, 09:57 PM.
          My Clay Oven build:

Comment

Beautiful! Nice job!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Gudday Mick
              Well if you still around .... Time to bring you build " out of the vault"
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                Gudday Mick
                Well if you still around .... Time to bring you build " out of the vault"
                Regards dave
                Cheers Dave - I'll have to look back over this when I come to build another one

Mick
                My Clay Oven build:

Comment

Working...
                X