Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

Well, I've been perusing that thread, and 2stone (Willard) said that he tried putting a door on the front, and it was counterproductive... the increased airflow with it open actually improved warmup times.

And, yes, I agree... reverse engineering, incorporating the best ideas out there and then pushing them forward, improves the landscape for everyone (eventually). Not just in pizza ovens , in everything. To paraphrase Newton, we are all standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

The "hook" under the ??? is actually attached to the burner he decided to go with. The user is to move the burner from the back to the front now and then to maintain proper heat distribution? I wouldn't think that would be necessary since the pizza stone is on an automatic turntable. I am not going to use the same burner set up so I won't be needing that feature.
      Take no credit away from Willard, he is ahead of the mainstream with his simple yet very effective design.
      I forgot to mention, I ordered the same stone he uses which is supposed to be good to 1500F.
      Only $43 shipped, good thing I didn't place the order for the soapstone for $60 !
      http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php
      Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 06-16-2010, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Yeah, Fibrament is wonderful, from all I hear. I was able to find a cordierite kiln shelf for even cheaper than that (at a local pottery supply shop), but if I couldn't, I had planned to go with fibrament.

Comment

Originally posted by mako View Post
          Yeah, Fibrament is wonderful, from all I hear. I was able to find a cordierite kiln shelf for even cheaper than that (at a local pottery supply shop), but if I couldn't, I had planned to go with fibrament.
          do these people have a website?

Comment

They do.

Here's the page with kiln shelves. I doubt they ship -- or, if they do, I doubt it's economical, but it'll at least give you an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by mako View Post
              They do.

Here's the page with kiln shelves. I doubt they ship -- or, if they do, I doubt it's economical, but it'll at least give you an idea.
              I was too impatient and found them on ebay, 14"x14" tile for $15 bucks.
              I got two so I can use them for the top, back and sides. They will even cut them for $1 per cut.

Comment

Does anyone know what type of business sells galvanized sheet metal?
                I'm striking out looking online.

Comment

Try an HVAC supply house - they make air ducts out of galvanized sheets.

Comment

Does anyone know what type of business sells galvanized sheet metal?
                    I don't know what your application here is, but it's a seriously bad idea to apply heat to zinc.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                      I don't know what your application here is, but it's a seriously bad idea to apply heat to zinc.
                      I am going to use it as the skin for my project (see first picture on OP) there will be 1" of kaewool insulating blanket between the oven walls and the skin, I don't really know how how it will get yet. I'll have to check and see how much heat makes the galvanizing off gas.

:UPDATE - galvanized sheet metal is good to temperatures of 392F

(thank you for making me look it up, saved me alot of trouble and money$$$)

SO now I need to find non-galvanized sheet metal!
                      Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 06-20-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Let the testing begin :

Comment

Someone said that they were unable to watch that video, so i put it in another form:

http://http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=vid00011.mp4

Test results #1 : I was able to heat the bottom stone to 900* (as a test), I don't cook that high but I could get it there. Back down at 650* on the bottom stone, the top stone (a free fireplace surround in my case) was 450* at best. It didn't brown the tops very well.

Test results#2: I added a flat burner from a gas oven about 1" below the top stone. I was able to dial in 750* on the top and 650* on the bottom, it works perfectly. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

I've idly considered adding a burner to the top part of my apparatus; I'm encouraged to hear it worked for you, and wondering how you accomplished it.

Did you just scavenge a burner from an old gas oven? Do you feed both from the same propane tank? How'd you mount it?

Congrats on having a workable pizza machine.

Comment

Thanks, Mako. I've got some detailed pics, I will try to put them up this weekend.

Comment

I feel like I started reading from the middle of a book. Is there a beginning to Jet Deck's thread? I would like to see how he set up his burner system. I can't stream videos on this ship offshore.

Comment

Working...
                                X