Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

So I sometimes have one or two left over dough balls from a get together and hate throwing them away. I also sometimes like to experiment with different dough kneading techniques but hate to use up the firewood, wait an hour for one or two pizas, seems wasteful. So for those reasons I have decided to build my own quick heat up, table top, single pizza propane powered oven. The best example of this I've found is the 2stone oven, here is a picture of the victim. I will proceed to reverse engineer this baby because I don't think there is $1,200 worth of materials in that thing so I will see how much I can copy cat it for....(and it will be fun)

the victim:

the victim dissected:

here are a couple videos of it:
    YouTube - 2stone pizza pro oven

YouTube - New 2Stone Inferno Pro

any thoughts?
    does anyone own one of these guys?
    seen one up close?

I think I have it figured out but I welcome any input.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 05-29-2010, 04:43 PM.

Re: Single Pizza, Test Oven, Propane Powered.

Excellent. I can't wait to see how this goes.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ok, I have started gathering materials and equipment so when I finally get finished with this little BP uh...mistake? I can get started right away.

I found this rotisserie on ebay for under $20 shipped.

Does anyone know how hot I can get the FB round pizza stone before it explodes?
      Pizza Stone | Pizza Baking Stone

Last edited by JoeyVelderrain; 05-29-2010, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Maybe you could use some of that BP oil washed up on the beach for oven fuel. On second thoughts no- yuk!
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyVelderrain View Post
          Does anyone know how hot I can get the FB round pizza stone before it explodes?
          With indirect heat from the bottom from my propane burner, I have had the FB Stone up to at least 950F (not intentionally!). I have found that a cheapo pizza stone will also get up to that temp, but they tend to crack (sometimes with a POP) even around 600F when you put the pizza on the stone - they just can't handle the thermal shock, but the FB Stone has held up very well.

By the way, I had the same philosophy when I put together my Forno Clamshell. I just did it in the opposite order! WFO next!
          Ed

Comment

Another single-pizza oven supporter here. I don't really know what direction I came at it from (not WFO->little thing or little thing->WFO... the arrow points a different direction entirely).

As far as the stone, I'm not sure what the FB stone is made of (it says it's the same thing used for commercial deck ovens, but I don't know what that is). Some other high end stones are made of cordierite (the Old Stone Oven and American Metalcraft brands, I believe, among others). the cordierite kiln shelf I'm using in my oven is rated to Cone 10 (i.e. ~2300F). I've had it up to 900F+ (...semi-intentionally) and put a pizza onto it, and it didn't begin to complain. (though the crust did. Yikes.) I think a good quality stone will handle pizza temps quite easily.

Looking at the video, it seems clear that the burner is right behind the ???? markings on your diagram (I can see the flames licking up from there). Sticking all the rotisserie motor and gears below the burner is clever -- no moving parts under the stress of all that heat. Where you have marked insulation in the top is where the 2nd stone of their moniker goes -- I'm sure there's insulation around it, but I have no idea what. They mention their 'Turbo Top' on their website -- something about sandwiched metal and stone layers for better heat distribution (this is intriguing to me, as I've been unable to get sufficient top heat on my pizza grill without adding wood chunks).

I love the idea of the 2stone, but the price and the small pizza size restriction turned me off.

Good luck with your project (hope you can get to it soon). More DIY projects always add more ideas to the landscape.
            Last edited by mako; 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Any updates on the Two Stone clone? I just decided to do one also. What do you guys use to check temps with? I haven't seen an IR thermometer that will read above 650*. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I grabbed an IR thermometer from Harbor Freight Tools for $24 ($30 on special - 20% coupon) that reads to 932F. Cen-Tech brand. My tool-knowing friend laughed at me for being such a cheapskate (as he often does), but it has worked spectacularly so far.

Comment

I haven't made it home from this BP project yet but I am steady ordering all the parts and pieces. I found a 12" diameter soapstone disk for it for $60 shipped, now I am getting ready to order the castable refractory for the top, back and the sides.
                  I also am thinking of buying the harbor freight thermometer.

Comment

How'd you decide on castable refractory? It seems like the 2stone guys are relying on direct convective heating, mostly, plus that Turbo Top thing to throw some heat down from above (they talk about sucking the heat over the pizza and out the front, I think; and, again, those flames licking up).

I'm not really sure whether adding a bunch of thermal mass around the back and sides will do you a lot of good. It might be more fuel-efficient to just see if you can find a small quantity of ceramic blanket to insulate around the sides.

I haven't actually worked with either, so it's pure speculation on my part.

Comment

That's a good point. Well I think definitely need the "stone" on top since this is where they get the name from, the 2nd stone? but I think you may be right about the sides just needing insulation.
                      I think the airflow is a side effect from the heat rising and going out the front which is the point of less resistance, this brings the heat up from the sides and back over the pizza and down from the top stone...also speculating here from simply watching the videos. I wish we could actually talk to someone that has used one. I'm going to look on their blog and see if I can make contact with one of their customers that has posted.

Comment

I'd suggest looking around at the forums at pizzamaking.com. I know the 2stone guys have posted a bunch there, and there's probably a lot to be gleaned about the evolution of their design if you're willing to read through the threads.

Comment

Originally posted by mako View Post
                          I'd suggest looking around at the forums at pizzamaking.com. I know the 2stone guys have posted a bunch there, and there's probably a lot to be gleaned about the evolution of their design if you're willing to read through the threads.
                          Thanks for the link! that thread was pure gold! I completely know how to make it and how to make a better burner set up than what he has. This is gonna be like taking candy from a baby.

Comment

Suddenly this feels like corporate espionage. (Though the market segment of people who would build their own and those who would buy one are different enough as to have no overlap, I trust.)

Anyway, glad I was able to point you in the right direction. Your enthusiasm has convinced me I should read that thread.

Can't wait till you get started. I'll be interested to see your design and build. Take lots of pictures.

Comment

can there be too many pizza ovens sold? competition is best for everyone, it helps consumers and spurs business's on to bigger and better things.

Perhaps the device needs a fold up insulated lid that can be shut for firing to heat the stones, then opened to place the pizza in more like a mini commericail pizza oven in a resturant.

I would assume the ??? on the diagram is a hook to hold the peel tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X