No announcement yet.

BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!!

So after some talking back and forth with a buddy, I decide to build a Wood Fired Oven (42" diam.)and face it with brick and rock. Then like everything else I do, the project starts growing before I even start.

So far, I have drawn plans for the 42" diam. WFO, Concrete counter next to it, the new big ol patio slab, a small 24" high retaining/sitting wall and now I want to add a old style brick firepit/bbq.

This brick bbq pit will have a inside opening dimension that is about 48" long and 20" wide. I plan on having the back side higher with the counter top running on top that can house friends sitting on the back on bar stools (my friends do this well).

I plan on using it for both a fire pit (normal use) and as a bbq pit for parties since my wife made me buy a goofy "Vidalia" BBQ insert that actually only has flame on one side.

I plan on making the cooking surface from a stainless steel heavy wire mesh supported in a angle iron frame. I also want the cooking surface to be height adjustable with some kind of crank. And of course I already have found a 110 volt gear reduction motor (6 rev/min) to turn the spit for a pig, lamb or multiple birds.

Anyway, I have had such GREAT help on this forum regarding the design of the WFO and I have NOT been able to find much info on building a brick bbq.

Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?

Thanks, Eric
    Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Re: BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!!

"stainless steel heavy wire mesh supported in a angle iron frame."

Cast iron grills might be your best bet. Sometime you can score a set for free at your local landfill from discarded gas barbecues.

Comment

Stainless steel works great indoors, but it is not really stain less outdoors, especially in a small diameter mesh. No matter how you end up building it you should line it with firebrick and add a chimney.

I can not imagine using the backside of a BBQ pit as a seating area, too much smoke and heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        ...but it is not really stain less outdoors, especially in a small diameter mesh.
        I am not going to be using "small diameter mesh", it is a large gauge and wide spaced stainless mesh. I have been using stainless outside for years.

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        ...I can not imagine using the backside of a BBQ pit as a seating area, too much smoke and heat.
        It is going to be a multi-function pit. It will have a removable, height adjustable gril/cooking surface for Q'ing during parties, which will be removed during the family and (close) friends evenings, there will also be a heavy metal cover to close off the pit if so desired.

And what I was asking was "Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?"

I am looking for some ideas for the cooking surface height adjuster, pit drain holes etc,

I just figured that someone might know of a good website/forums that has the same level of knowledge on brick bbq's that the FB has on WFOs.

Thanks, Eric.
        Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post

And what I was asking was "Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?"

Eric,

Try this site:

BBQ Source Forums -> Custom Built Grills & Smokers

Good luck.

John

Comment

I have looked on this site and they helped me a lot with the many "variations" of wire mesh that might be used or needed....

Belleville Wire Cloth Co., Inc - Woven Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth | Stainless Steel Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth Strainer

Stainless Steel mesh looks like it will be absolutely my best bet if I am going for an indoor cooking venue, but I question the size of the mesh that I need.

How big is the openings that you guys usually see between your wire mesh?

Would you say it is like a 2 x 2 wire cloth or more like a 40 x 40 count? Very fine, or just fine enough so nothing falls through. Thanks for any tips on this guys, think I have the right alloy in mind, just debating the size.

_J_

Comment

I am not so sure that stainless is what you want for your grill. Cast iron seems to be the most popular.

Comment

Why not stainless? The heat factor?

I am going to call belleville wire cloth, the guys who sell it and ask them.

Comment

Working...
                X