Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cob Oven -What type of clay should I buy, where can I buy it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cob Oven -What type of clay should I buy, where can I buy it?

Originally posted by Brave View Post
    I think any clay you can get your hands on will be fine. Just dig a hole on your back yard and go down a few feet and you're likely to hit it. You don't need high quality clay that potters use. Although the cob oven will get hot it's not going to get so hot that it will set into a glass.

Does "any clay" include bentonite. I could EASILY get some bentonite for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Brave View Post
      Re: Cob Oven -What type of clay should I buy, where can I buy it?

I think any clay you can get your hands on will be fine. Just dig a hole on your back yard and go down a few feet and you're likely to hit it. You don't need high quality clay that potters use. Although the cob oven will get hot it's not going to get so hot that it will set into a glass.

Although that would be pretty, and keep the rain out too if we could get it to set right through.

Comment

Get,
        You are replying to a post that's over a year old. Oven probably built or abandoned. Anyone reading this thread should also be aware that bentonite has extremely small particle size and hence creates a lot of shrinkage from its plastic to dry states. Unless this is well understood expect many cracks and therefore reduced strength. For this reason bentonite for a cob oven is a poor choice.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X