Upright Drum Smoker-Kamado Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upright Drum Smoker-Kamado Hybrid

I love way that ball valves have replaced gate valves all over in water systems, I just wouldn't have guessed that they're an advantage used in this role. So these valves are placed on the air supply of the combustion chamber? If so then heat resistance might not be an issue, or might not have to be an issue. I guess it would just depend on the proximity to the fire.

Best to you and your cooking.

Sincerly

SCChris

Comment

Yeah, when I do any kind of plumbing or if I am having any done, I demand ball valves. In regard to the smokers I certainly do not claim to be an expert, but they seem pretty popular and I know sever of the comercial smokers do use them. Additionally, some seem to use butterflies in the smokestack. I have not decided yet what I am doing about a damper for the stack. If I don't use force incuction, I will want to keep the stack wide open, but with the froce induction design, you ussualy want to restrict the stack as well.

Chris

Comment

The ball valves are usually located below the coal grate level so heat is not an issue for the most part.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by cmessin1 View Post

Roobqn, as to the pipe on your smoker, what is the pipe made of, what is the ball valve made of and what size is the pipe? Do you have any thoughts as to why it is above the firebox vs below it? How big is the smoker itself?

Thanks,
          Chris
          Chris,

The pipe is above the firbox because it is actually used to drain the water 8 gallon water pan. I believe the pipe is regular black pipe, but it is painted. No idea what the valve is actually made of. Here is a picture of it.

The size of the cooker is 48" high, w2" wide, and 37" tall. It as 4 cooking racks that are 25"x34". Don't know if it is ok to post links to outside links so I will just tell you to google Spicewine Ironworks. They have several different sizes and I have the Large mounted on our trailer.

Comment

Very pretty! The chrome stacks with the gate valves and fire engine red. very very cool. It kinda looks like a converted Jobbox. Hmmm?

Chris

Comment

How about a smooth stainless pipe for the inside of the smoker, it would be easier to replace, especially if you use a vermiculite/perlite mixture.

Comment

Any update on what happened with this project?

Comment

Working...
                X