X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tman1
    replied
    Re: building the oven

It doesn't seem like the roof will hold much, but it's quite sturdy. I do have some sand that I contemplated brushing into the joints for 'sealing' and somewhat better structural strength (minimally I know). You can't see it but I do have some insulation board under the brick (so there is the pavers, then a layer of brick, then insulation board, then another layer of brick which is the cooking surface,). With all that said, I do expect at some time it'll collapse, but that's that is the beauty... I could re-build very easily. A future pompeii is in my head. This was fast gratification.
    Last edited by Tman1; 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

When your oven roof and/or arch collapses, we'll help you to the next level, which will involve some cheap insulation, and some temporary mortar made from sand and fireclay.

We'll also try to talk you into making it a round dome.

If nothing else, some insulation under that floor will keep those portland concrete pavers from getting hot enough to fail.

In all, though, an amazing project for 4 hours.

Leave a comment:

• KraemerBAC
    replied

Excellent...Now you can get started on your permanent oven!!!

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

All in all, very happy! From start to first pizza.. 4 hours!!

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

It was VERY sooty on the bottom... lesson learned. We ate the whole thing though... cooked in about 30-45 seconds (I guess I could watch the video and determine from there).
    video
    obligatory upskirt photo...

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Then it's the first attempt.
    video

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

We were able to fashion a crude door.

We lit our first fire and started feeding it!

My wife mocked me earlier this weekend since I had started to make a pizza peel (I didn't even have any brick) out of some leftover Ipe wood (usually used for decking material). It's super dense and strong, and... it was free. I only put an hour into it, so it's not perfect, but it works.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    started a topic building the oven

building the oven

This is a continuation of another thread that I started in the wrong place.
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...html#post98666

The start of the foundation from some other stuff I had laying around. My son and a friend helped with the 'assembly'.
    Foundation

1/2 done

2/3 done

Done!!
Working...
X