Re: building the oven

Gudday Tman
    Just bringing you oven back "out of the vault"
    Has it running or have you gone on to other things

Leave a comment:

• Jimney
    replied

No cash! Still in the process of collecting the materials though. I'll be back!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Did you ever get that distributors gig? What is up with your oven long time no post....

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Jimney
    replied

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    When your oven roof and/or arch collapses, we'll help you to the next level, which will involve some cheap insulation, and some temporary mortar made from sand and fireclay.

We'll also try to talk you into making it a round dome.

If nothing else, some insulation under that floor will keep those portland concrete pavers from getting hot enough to fail.

In all, though, an amazing project for 4 hours.
    What is cheap insulation? And is sand and fire clay really temporary or could it be used in a permanent dome? I am on a very tight budget!

Leave a comment:

• Lake lover
    replied

Good thread. I have been enjoying it.

Try using a higher gluten flour. Called a cake flour.

What kind of oil are you using ?

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Hello all,

I'm missing a couple pictures of my newest iteration since I had to take apart the oven and bring it home, but I had another party... and not a single picture.

As usual, it went well, with many compliments and 'this is the best pizza ever!'. *I'm happy that most find my homemade stuff better than a popular small chain restaurant here. I've always felt I need to be at least as good as them to succeed.

My 'shining' moment was when I realized I was talking to a guy who owns a small chain of higher end grocery stores in town. He mentioned that they had been working on a pizza crust for take home.. in his comments I thought I heard disappointment, so I queried him and sure he enough he wasn't all that thrilled with their product. He thought mine was very good. He also has a store with an oven in it (gas fired) that used to be a Wolfgang Puck based enterprise. It didn't work out, so now the store operates it, although he thinks it's underused. Who knows where this might go!!??

I leave later this morning to get the real thing... an oven on a trailer and I'm truly mobile. I've got a bunch of things lined up for promotion, fun and most of all, experience.

I do have a question though... I used AP flour these last 2 times, and while the crust came out slightly crispy, it softened after sitting and wouldn't hold up when a piece was taken. I know the floor was hot enough in mine (I thought under-baking might have been an issue from the day before so I made sure to check that more frequently), so it was baked, but is that a result of the type of flour? I want the crust to hold its form better. I'm working through a 50 pound bag of AP, but ultimately would use at least pizzeria flour. I don't remember this happening before.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I've included a couple more pictures... a better one of the new set-up. I find the second very interesting.. you can see where the soot is burned off in a nice half-circle pattern.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

A pic of the new set-up, along with a pic of one baking. The oven worked awesome in it's new form. We were able to keep the temps pretty easy with minimal wood. A couple of people timed us- came in at 69 and 64 seconds for our bakes. Alas, it'll have to come down again to bring home.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow, but we did 88, yes 88 pizzas in 2.5 hours out of the temporary brick oven. Dough was good, pizzas were tasty, everyone had fun!

Leave a comment:

• texmex
    replied

Thanks for the laughs guys...so curious to see your new build Tman

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

Design adjustments have been made in the newer version.. pictures will follow.

Leave a comment:

• sacwoodpusher
    replied

Hey TMAN1 !

I think that all of the Pompein Oven shapes are wrong! Your grill features that unique reverse curvature or the inverted dome.....where the middle part of your oven down is closer to the pizza, not farther away!

What a wonderful design!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sacwoodpusher; 08-26-2011, 03:45 PM. Reason: spulling

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I know a lot of people thought that this oven was ready to cave in. I present this picture... 24 bricks at about 4 pounds each, right over the center. I hadn't heard a sound of bricks rubbing against each other yet.

The oven has been taken apart and relocated.

Leave a comment:

• Tman1
    replied

I figured I needed to add pictures hence the long line of posts. It is interesting to look at my first pizzas and then look now.. these are far better.

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Tman1,

You are sounding like a pizza snob. The last six posts are yours. I luv it. Are those your hands grabbing at the lemon Drop Pizza?

Keep up the good work and please post more photos and narratives of your adventures.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X