Homemade castable refractory v castable refractory cement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade castable refractory v castable refractory cement

Is it possible to make castable refractory cement at home, how does it compare to the premixed stuff if so in strength and financially, Does anyone know the recipe. Also what is the minimum thickness wall for a cast oven? Thank you

Re: Homemade castable refractory v castable refractory cement

Calcium aluminate products have the reputation of being extremely difficult to handle. The raw material isn't cheap, so I would do some test pieces before you spring for the hundreds of pounds of expensive raw materials.

A quote from this site:

Homemade refractories are notoriously slipshod. Professional companies make these to industry
    specifications in easy-to-use formats (generally dry, mix like cement.) Every one of the homemade
    refractory recipes I've seen costs more per pound than commercial refractories (like Mizzou). But worst of
    all, they're costing you money in terms of wasted fuel and time. It takes a lot of heat to bring 100# of
    castable refractory up to melting temperatures.
    If you go this route, let us know what you do, and what results you get. We get lots of questions about castable, and I don't know anything about the topic.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Here is a castable concrete which will hold probably up to oven use. I intend to try this just as soon as I get some time.

FIREROK HIGH TEMPERATURE CONCRETE

This stuff costs $30 for a 54 lb bag, PLUS SHIPPING. If I lived in Redding, PA, where the stuff is made, I would definately be trying this stuff NOW, but out here in CA, the shipping charges may make this too expensive to use.

Comment

Originally posted by sacwoodpusher View Post
        Here is a castable concrete which will hold probably up to oven use. I intend to try this just as soon as I get some time.

FIREROK HIGH TEMPERATURE CONCRETE
        That is pretty interesting stuff.

I have a FB stone that I use regularly & really like. Unlike the common, cheap, tan-colored stones (that always crack), this one has a very different surface texture, is denser & is a concrete-gray color.

Comment

I know that FB buys KS4 or maybe KS4+. i saw the invoice on Sam's desk at HBR.

Comment

Working...
          X