Mobile Outdoor Barrel Vault Oven Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Outdoor Barrel Vault Oven Completed

We just finished this oven build about an hour ago. While I should wait until the grout dries and I have had the time to do a final wash....I can't wait. I am so pleased and excited that I could spit!

Building ovens is ADDICTIVE.
    Last edited by sacwoodpusher; 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM.

Re: Mobile Outdoor Barrel Vault Oven Completed

That is much better than the other, but I still think you should include a vent.

Comment

Actually, I purchased one for this build. The 3" internal diameter pipe that is used in pellet stoves seems to be the right size, but the problem is, where to place it?

If the door "passage way" were deeper, I would put the vent in the door passage way. Then, when I pushed the door cover in for sealed cooking, the vent opening could be in front of the door and the oven chamber could be completely sealed. Alternative would be a butterfly damper or a small piece of steel that I could push in sealing the vent pipe, or I could go totally redneck and put a tin can on top of the vent pipe.

I have not been able to find a butterfly damper for 3" pipe, but I guess I could make one.

Input appreciated. I don't want to hurt thermal properties...I could even put the vent in the front of the oven dome either to the left or right of the usable space, in that section where you can't easily put anything to cook.
      Last edited by sacwoodpusher; 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM. Reason: spulling

Comment

Even "scooping" the front would help keep the smoke out of your eyes.

Comment

I was asked, "Why are barrel vault ovens always deeper than they are wide?"

I have no idea, except that they are generally used for bread, and that maybe it has to do with the way bakers slide bread into the oven?

Anyone have a clue?

Comment

No insulation?
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This is a portable, outdoor, wood fired oven with 2 inches of insulation under the floor, around the dome, and in the front and back walls of the oven. The dome is, obviously, barrel vaulted. It is on wheels, and weighs about 350 lbs. This oven is unvented except the door which is close to the magic ratio of 61-63% of dome height whach has been used for centuries.

Internal dimensions are: 24" wide, 32" deep, 15" high, door height 9.25", door width 16.25.

Floor: 1.25" thick Muddox Fire Brick
              Dome: .5" thick Muddox Thin Brick in Summer Wheat (same material as firebrick just thinner and smaller)
              Outside: Muddox Thin Brick in Redwood
              There are only 2 full bricks used in this oven, one on either side of the door.

And Brickie may like this.....The .5" thin bricks used on the inside of the oven are fire brick material....and cost 44 cents each......44 cents!!!
              Last edited by sacwoodpusher; 01-05-2011, 07:48 PM. Reason: spulling again and addition

Comment

I think a concern should be the temp of the bricks on the outside of the vault. After a long enough firing, the bricks will be just as hot on the outside as it is on the inside. If there isn't any insulation or ability to prevent someone from touching the bricks, you'll have an issue to deal with.

I've wanted to do something similar.
                My oven (for now):
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...ven-14269.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tman1 View Post
                  I think a concern should be the temp of the bricks on the outside of the vault. After a long enough firing, the bricks will be just as hot on the outside as it is on the inside. If there isn't any insulation or ability to prevent someone from touching the bricks, you'll have an issue to deal with.

I've wanted to do something similar.
                  There is 2 inches of insulation under the floor, around the dome, and in each end. The only part which does not have insulation are the 2 full bricks, one on either side of the door.

While I have not cooked in this barrel vault oven, its square counterpart had the same insulation scheme, and the outside brick remained cool except above the door where exhaust gases exit, even when fired all day on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I may decide on future ovens to use a 3" vent pipe, and I have since found a cast iron damper for that eventuality which should flat out eliminate any hot brick on the outside. Also, it will eliminate soot on the outside.

Comment

Alright, maybe I missed those details somewhere (shame on you not taking more pics ). Insulation around the vault will certainly be helpful.
                    My oven (for now):

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      That is much better than the other, but I still think you should include a vent.
                      Sac- Did I miss something somewhere? I know about the Tandoor oven, but is there another thread?

Edit: And after I click submit I find the other thread. I hate when that happens!!
                      Last edited by Tman1; 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM. Reason: stupidity =]
                      My oven (for now):

Comment

Working...
                      X