Scotch Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotch Ovens

I came across this post the other day and wanted to share with the Fourno community this rare find.
    http://sourdough.com/node/add/comment/3832
    I contacted the owner and politely asked him if he wouldn't mind taking some photo's. He graciously did and posted these wonderful photo's.
    These ovens, as you all know are rare. And any info of them even more so.
    I think that he should start a blog on it here on FB.
    Anyways.... Thanks Neville from Down Under for this.

Re: Scotch Ovens

Polenta, when I click on that link I get taken to a site that requires joining (login etc.).

Is there another way to view the photos? as a guest to the site, perhaps?

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

Sorry Wiley... I see that now. I am a member of that forum so I took it for granted all can see the post.
      No fear, i've asked him if he wouldn't mind to post here. More exposure.

Comment

Hi I am the proud owner of a Scotch oven here in Armitage Bridge, Huddersfield West Yorkshire in the UK. I am currently restoring it to full use. So far I have had a new chimney built and had the original damper re-installed. Latest development is the restoring of the original oven door with bolts being welded to provide the 'pins' for the hinges. I discovered that the flue had been capped with mortar when it had been decommissioned, this made for a very smoky room. Now the mortar has been removed the draw is brilliant and the damper really makes a difference. I have some photographs of progress but how do I post them through this forum? artibaker

Comment

Originally posted by Polenta View Post
          I came across this post the other day and wanted to share with the Fourno community this rare find.
          http://sourdough.com/node/add/comment/3832
          I contacted the owner and politely asked him if he wouldn't mind taking some photo's. He graciously did and posted these wonderful photo's.
          These ovens, as you all know are rare. And any info of them even more so.
          I think that he should start a blog on it here on FB.
          Anyways.... Thanks Neville from Down Under for this.
          Hi Polenta, just joined the forum as you'll see from my posting when it's released by the Moderator. Tell me more about how rare the Scotch ovens are as it's all new to me as an owner currently restoring my oven, artibaker

Comment

Hi
            Yes I too would like to watch your progress. The little country town I spent a few years in in country Australia had side fired scottish oven that was in use right into the 80s. My grandfather use to make the bread and cake tins and other flatware for the oven and my aunt delivered bread so there was always a fresh loaf in my nans house. Sadly the oven was pulled down in the 90s a finally falling victim of the big commercial bakeries and modern transport. I suspect it only lasted as long as it did due to the floods of the 70s as they distrubed the big trucks but my aunt always seemed to get through and that little bakery supplied bread to the sorounding towns even with the flour having to be flown in.
            What are you plans for the oven...Thats a big mass of brick and sand to get and keep at temp I'm glad your cutting the wood

Click image for larger version

Name:	bread.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	286444

Regards Cobblerdave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door