• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tandoor/Tandoori Oven Users

azpizzanut,

A US site...

Home page

I haven't explored it much yet as everytime I remember I'm at work and it's blocked for streaming video. It did check it once just to see prices of charcoal version and it seemed somewhat in line with other sites, but hopefully US shipping makes it overall cheaper. If I remember right they make the clay pots in the US, so hopefully the whole thing is made in and shipped from the US.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Glad the info might be of some use. Sounds like you have all the BBQ toys! You mentioned the smoker. I hope to try a smoke in the tandoor shortly. After a standard cook up, the tandoor stays quite hot for many hours (it has been too hot to touch more than 12 hours after I have finished cooking). So I plan on doing a slow cook using this residual heat overnight ? also throwing in a few smoking wood chips to add some flavour. I think the tandoor might work well for such a smoky slow cook. Will let you know how it goes.

Just out of interest, how much was the quote for the tandoor delivered to the US. I had mine (the SS2 model) delivered by Tandoor Living here in Australia for just over AUD$900. Not a bad price I thought considering all the stainless steel components, clay pot and the accessories it comes with.

Cheers

Comment

Hi ebbro,

Thanks for the link. The design of the Homdoor oven is slightly different than those I've seen before. Very nice.

Cheers,
        Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Hello Spiceman,

I think you can smoke some things in a tandoor if you want a little additional flavor. I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Something to keep in mind is that a dedicated smoker uses low heat in a enclosed environment. A tandoor is hot and dry. For example: a Green Egg style cooker circulates natural moisture from the foods being cooked due in part to its lid design. A "bullet style" drum smoker uses a pan of water or spiced liquid between the heat source and food. Amazingly, the foods cook perfectly in the hot, moist, environment of the drum. I bought my bullet style smoker/grill for $39 USD and make smoked meats just as good as you might expect from popular restaurants, delicious, moist and tender. A Green Egg will do the same for $1000.

The price quoted for the Puri SS2 Ultima tandoor is $1099 USD, which includes shipping.

Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

Hello All,

Look what I found:Tandoor ovens and clay pots in the U.S. Go to Tandoor,Tandoori Clay Ovens, Barbecue, Tandoors Accessories, Skewers & Tandoori Clay Pots

Also look at Clay Oven | Tandoori Cooking | Tandoor - The Tandoori Clay Oven and click on the "instructions" for tips on cooking nann bread and seasoning the clay liner so the bread will stick to the sides of the oven. A simple salt solution is the answer.

Nishi Enterprise - Restaurant Equipment Kitchen Supplies Bar Supplies Catering Furniture has tandoor accessories in the U.S.

Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Way cool sites, Bob! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Hi John,

You're welcome. Each time I visit a Tandoor oven site I learn a little more about their construction, material composition, and internal dimensions. These tidbits are gleaned little by little by digging through the product pages and links provided by the sellers. Here is one bit of information I learned today. Goat hair is often mixed with clay to make the cooking pot more durable. (mmmmmmm yummy). I'm not knocking the way they're made. The tandoor is an ancient cooking tool and one shared by many cultures in one form or another. Surely a wellhead of expertise was developed over the eons, so if goat hair is added because it increases the durability of a cooking tool then that is good enough for me.

Cheers,
                Bob

Comment

Hey guys,
                  Sorry to necrothread this but I recently finished my Uruguayan Grill and people have decided I'm some sort of grill making dude.

Anyway, a good friend has asked me if I could build her a tandoor oven. looking around online the people who produce them charge a lot (though IMHO fair) for them. Digging further, and weighing my google queries to pre-existing/industry standard components, it appears that terracotta chimney pieces would do the job nicely.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hello Glass,

I suggest viewing YouTube to see how tandoors are made in places around the world. You will find lots of information there. Search variations of the spelling since "tandoor" is spelled differently in various countries.

Here is something to consider, anything that can be cooked in a tandoor can be made in your kitchen oven or outdoor kitchen. Lots of videos about that too. An acquaintance from India told me they sometimes use tandoors in the rural villages. At home in the city, they used a gas stove/oven. That was interesting but I bought a residential sized tandoor anyway and have been enjoying it. The casters on the bottom make it easy to move around the patio. One site I viewed recently had clay inserts and "economy" style tandoors in plain steel housings for much less than those in stainless "barrels" with wheels. If I was building an outdoor kitchen I'd go with an insert or economy model and brick it in place next to a work/prep area.

Best of luck with your projects.

Cheers
                    Bob

Comment

Hi All,

In its purest form the tandoor was literally a hole in the ground where food was meant to be cooked.
                      Based on this concept I was able to build a tandoor in my backyard.

Here's a step by step breakdown:

1. Location Selection: After careful consideration, I pinpointed the ideal spot in our backyard for the tandoor, ensuring safety by keeping it away from flammable objects and structures.

2. Pit Digging: A pit was skillfully excavated, allowing ample space for the metal drum or cylinder. I aimed for a depth of around 2-3 feet to accommodate our tandoor's size.

3. Metal Drum Insertion: Placing the metal drum securely into the pit was our next step. I paid close attention to ensuring it remained level and steady as the heart of our tandoor.

4. Inner Wall Construction: I meticulously built the inner wall of the tandoor using clay, creating a gap between the wall and the metal drum for optimal performance.

5. Sand Insulation: To prevent excessive heat from affecting the outer wall, I filled the gap between the inner wall and the metal drum with sand. This sand layer acted as an effective insulator.

6. Outer Wall Building: Following the same design as the inner wall, I constructed the outer wall using the chosen material. An opening was left at the top, forming the mouth of the tandoor.

7. Completing the Top Opening: The top of the tandoor was shaped to create a rounded opening

8. Drying Period: The entire structure was left to air dry for multiple days, ensuring that the clay fully set and provided a sturdy foundation.

For more details check here

If you'd like a more portable tandoor these guys have some good ones
                      Last edited by Sdogg; 08-17-2023, 10:27 AM. Reason: 404 Link Fix

Comment

Working...
                      X