• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Scott "Artisan" Brick Oven

Here are pics of the Alan Scott oven we had built in TN:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ven-album.html

And here are the first pizzas we made in it:

The oven is 42"x42" and made of fire brick, with a chimney of red brick. You can see from the album that the cladding is refractory concrete. We insulated with vermiculite. There is a door in the back that permits the addition of vermiculite over time. The oven has three thermocouples placed in the dome and hearth. The exterior cladding is fieldstone taken from the property.

I have to check the door width and height, but it is as specified in the plans available from ovencrafters.net. I'm pretty sure the plans for this oven are also available in the book, "The Bread Builders" by Alan Scott and Dan Wing.
    Last edited by Ethel; 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM.

Re: Alan Scott "Artisan" Brick Oven

Ethel,

the link you provided to your pictures gave me this "This album does not have any pictures. "

But your pizza looks great. Did you follow the plans to the letter or did you make some adjustments.

Faith

Comment

So I checked the plans and the door is 20" wide and 10" tall.

Comment

That's odd. When I go to the album, it's full of pictures that the moderator has approved. This is the URL at the top of the webpage:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...n-oven-tn.html

Am I doing something wrong? I'm new to this forum and likely to be missing something.

Comment

We followed the plans to the letter, because with my last oven, also an Alan Scott design, the mason didn't follow the plans too closely and we ended up with some functional flaws. I noticed at the beginning of the plans there is a page outlining all the common mistakes that are made when building one of these. We made more than a few.

Comment

In case you still can't see the album, here are a few of the pics:

Comment

I don't know either ...I see the album but the picture count is 0.

Anyway for the pictures you posted ..WOW... quite impressive, looks great!!!

What part of NC are you in East , West? I can throw a rock to NC. Just curious.

Faith

Comment

I'm in Mooresville, which is about 30 miles north of Charlotte. Our oven is a weekend property in Eastern Tennessee (Smokey Mtns.)

Maybe some knowledgeable person will come along and advise us about the album.

Comment

I like the way you put a whimsical face on and over it. Looks great to me. I must say I'm a bit envious of its setting also.

I don't see your album on your profile page (where it should be seen), but do see it using your link....:reallypuzzled:
                  Last edited by Lburou; 08-02-2011, 07:52 AM.
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I just made an album to see why.
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...s-testing.html

I set it to public or everyone not private.

Edit: I can see my pics, can anyone else?
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yes Al I see your 2 pictures.

Comment

Ethel,
                        Your oven is beautiful and your pizza looks wonderful. I also bake in a Alan Scott oven. I built mine myself from "OvenCrafters" plans. Mine is very plain looking compared to yours though. Hopefully I will have the exterior of mine completed soon as well.

42"X42" is a very nice size. How long does it take to fire for a batch of bread?
                        My interior dimensions are 32"X38" and it generally takes me 4 to 5 hours to saturate my oven for successive bakings.

Comment

Yep, I see it Brickie.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Polo View Post
                            it generally takes me 4 to 5 hours to saturate my oven
                            Wow!! how many wheelbarrows of wood does that take?
                            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It's on a site that is very wooded with lots of very large downed trees. We probably have enough wood to last the rest of our lives already on the ground.

It does take quite awhile to heat the mass for bread baking. 4-5 hours sounds right. We are just starting to bake with it but based on my prior experience, the mass stays heated pretty much all day.

How do I make my album public? I haven't been able to locate a setting for that.
                              Last edited by Ethel; 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X