Another Steel Dome Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Steel Dome Oven

Well I've finally figured out how to attach pics of my progress....(I think)

I was inspired to attempt this project earlier this year by Wiley.

I dug, formed and poured a 8" deep pad, imbedded rebar in appropriate places to stick up through the dry stacked block, stacked the block and filled all the cells...that's it so far.....just like everyone else's base

So here goes....all praise and rebuke welcomed....

as it turns out, I can't upload the pics for some reason....Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

Re: Another Steel Dome Oven

I'm never gonna figure out this freakin' Pic thing.....but here they are in photobucket........just ignore the other pics....

Pictures by buckeyesailor - Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyebreadman View Post
      Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?
      The biggest problem with uploading pics is that the pics are too big, you have to reduce the size.
      Try this software.
      PIXresizer - Download

Then> manage attachments>Browse>upload.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

This is the base...(duh)....8 inches deep and 7 ft. by 7ft.
        with rebar in place to go through the block all the way up the outside wall.

You can't imagine how thrilled I am to finally know how to post pics!!!!
        All thanks to TropicalCoasting!!!!

Comment

Block in place, Cells filled (ALL of them)....
          You may notice the thing looks almost identical front AND back.
          This pic is the Rear side of the oven which will be used for wood storage.

Comment

Same thing, different angle...

Comment

AND the front view...
              Don't mind the ladders and all the junk laying around,
              My patio serves as storage when I don't have my stuff on a job.
              It'll all go away when the oven gets up and running.

Comment

You can upload 5 pics per post, you dont need separate posts for each pic.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Just learnin' Brickie....but thanx!

Comment

We all started somewhere.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Looks good Buckey. I am inspired to get to work on mine and pour a bigger pad and start setting up some block. I like your concrete lintels you used. I had only imagined using angle iron for that. Will the one lintel that is laying flat support enough wait? I thought you got more support with them turned on edge.
                      Last edited by TapRackFire; 01-24-2012, 05:14 PM.

Comment

You're quite correct Tap....the logic of the front lentil on it's side will be brought to light later. This one will support only the oven landing.
                        I'm pouring 8 in. of support and insulation over this lentil so it will be fine.

Further back (about 2 feet) is another row of block (in the base) which will support the front wall of the structure on top of the 8 in. of oven base and insulation.
                        The front opening (where most would use for wood storage) I will be installing a wood burning stove which will be used for.....duh...burning wood just for heat and atmosphere on the patio.
                        Things are progressing slowly.....I'm not spending a penny unless I have to to get through the winter....
                        No Complaints.....God's in control....

Comment

Looks like were building the same thing. I will install a wood burning stove under my oven as well. I have the pad poured now and need to get some block. I may try to copy your concrete lintels. I do not know where to get them. Are they standard lengths that you have to cut to your opening?

How do you plan on venting your stove? I have a couple of ideas but have not decided on one yet. What kinda of stove are you going to install?

Comment

Tap, I bought the lintels at the local concrete batch mix plant...anyplace that sells brick, block or concrete should have them. They are available in different lengths. These are 4 ft.

I'll vent the stove up through the oven/insulation base that will pass through the transition between the oven itself and the outer door. That way, I can use it with the inner and outer doors on as just a fireplace/Stove.....

I'm also going to investigate the possibility of using the oven as a smoker with a damper in place in the transition but that's down the road...

Work's picking up so I may be able to continue with the build soon and get the pics up..

Comment

Buckey,

I have a question about pouring the floor of the oven. I have all my brick walls set up and don't know what to do next. Can I pour a 3 inch top (as the floor) with steel in it and then use 2 inches of the FB board (I don't know what the FB board is, but i've seen it mentioned) on top of the 3 inch floor and then set my fire brick or soapstone on top of the fb board? I will try to post some pics.

Tap
                              Last edited by TapRackFire; 02-22-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X