Steel Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Oven

Hi, I thought there might be someone interested in my latest project, pics will explain most but please don't hesitate to ask any questions if there is something you may like to know. And I am happy if anyone has any advise for me!

Last edited by steel chef; 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM.

Re: Steel Oven

Comment

Looks really great. Are you going to use a gas burner or wood (charcoal).
      "You can tell a dutchman,
      but you can't tell him much"

Comment

It is my intention to use wood, I had not considered charcoal, could I use a combination of both, what are the fors and againsts, wood V charcoal?

Comment

Dude, I'm just a newcomer to all of this. I have used wood and charcoal in my "Smokey Mountain Smoker". My smoker looks similar to your oven, and I really enjoy smoking, especially fish. I wonder if I got it hot enough, and using a pizza stone if I could make a pizza in it.
          "You can tell a dutchman,
          but you can't tell him much"

Comment

I'm most interested in watching your progress on this. Here in the US there were alot of makers of welded steel airtight type stoves on the market about 30 years ago. Most had problems with distortion and cracking of welds usually as a result of unequal heating and the welded members being fixed and unable to move to relieve stresses.

Where you place firebricks will, I think, play an important role in your success.

Also, what are the cross sectional dimensions of your chimney? WFOs here have six inch (15 cm) or larger diameters (mostly larger).

I hope this isn't coming across as super critical, for it is not meant as such. I have a friend who has a steel airtight which is primarily made of rolled steel members and aside for one seam in the back, it works quite well. That seam, however, has been problematic...I have welded and re-welded it on a every other year basis for some time. Although last time I tried nickel rod and so far it has gone two winters without cracking.

Bests,
            Wiley

Comment

Working...
            X